1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help mixing Drive 75df

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by topsites, Jun 20, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok so I ordered a pound of Drive to treat some crabgrass but for the life of me, I can not figure out from the instructions, how many ounces of Drive per gallon of water?
    I have a 2.5 gallon hand-sprayer, all I want to do is mix about a gallon of water with drive.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance foyer time
  2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

How many thousand sqft can you cover per gallon? Its like .367 oz per thousand.....
  3. tngreen

tngreen LawnSite Member

acording to the BASF rep drive75 needs to be mixed at .367 ounces per 1/k, you also need to add a surfactant. throughly wet the foilage of the plant,you spray this product different than any other herbicide i have ever used, alot of product needs to make contact with the plant. the rep also said drive does a better job on mature plants than newly germaniated crabgrass. goodluck it has worked well for me with crabgrass in fescue.
  4. topsites

Well I can read the instructions too so yes I know there is a measuring cap to measure out 1-2 ounces at a time and .367 ounce is really 1/3rd of an ounce which I need per 1000 square feet but then that doesn't really answer the question.

Here's what it says:
    For tank-mixes, use 1 part df per 2 parts water and fill the remainder of the tank while agitating. Well, gee...
    Fill the remainder with how MANY gallons, or does it make no difference? And oh yes, how BIG is the tank!? See if it's a backpack it could be a 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8-gallon tank but on a hand-held it could be 1, 2, 2.5, 3 or 4 gallons! Yes, I am SURE it makes a difference if I put in x-ounces and then fill 1 or 5 gallons for the remainder, but if it doesn't, well this is what I'm after.

5. topsites

Huhuhu, .367 ounces per 1000 sq feet to me is NOT a mixture, that's like me telling you to mix fuel for the 2-cyclers and then to mix it, well gee, 1 ounce of mix per hour of use, huhuhu... Yeah, and what about how much FUEL! Oh, gee, yeah, hehehe, 1 ounce per gallon, gee THAT's what you need, whaddaya know.
    So .367 ounces per 1/k yeah, huhuhu, and what about how much WATER?!!
    ... maybe there is some standard amount of water you use per 1000 sq. feet but whatever it is, I am missing something here.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you might be missing the common sense, knowledge and license to be applying it in the first case. Your clue here is .367 oz/per 1,000. Seems to me if you apply 1 gallon of water or 5 gallons of water per 1,000 sf, your ai will remain the same. Do your self a favor and sub contract.
  7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

It's just that simple. If you do not understand simple L&O labels you need to sub the work out. If you come to this board to ask Questions don't be sarcastic cause it sounds like you are unlicensed and untrained.
  8. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

all pesticides are aplicated via a set number per thousand. The amount of water does not make the difference. I have a 1 quart bottle that I made with tee-jet nozzle on it -- that I mix for coverage of 2,000ft2. I have a 3 gallon can that I mix for coverage of 2,000 feet also. Water is only a carrier -- you are applying a pesticide -- not water.

to figure this out you need to first find out about how much your hand can puts out per thousand square feet. Then add appropriate mixture to the tank as stated on label.

It is a wonder that even the simplest licensing test would not go over proper calibration of a spray tank.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ours does.
  10. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

you know i've almost stopped comming to this forum on several occassions... he asked a simple question, and all you jerks want to do is jump on his as$ about it...come on... i've got a b.s. in chemistry, and got my license this past fall... there are still things i have questions about, but it sure is nice to know i don't need to ask any of you freaking holier than thou know-it-alls... it's like you think you've won some award of genius because you passed some lame test.