1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP mower problem, wont start and when does stalls and smokes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zachary52902, May 2, 2004.

1. Zachary52902

Zachary52902 LawnSite Member

I have a problem with my 61" bobcat zt200. Yesterday it started to stall on me and smoke and at high throttle it would rev low and high and then start to stall and i would have to choke it. I shut it of and let it cool then it wouldnt start. Thank good i was cutting my parents lawn and not a customers. So today I check the plugs and they are good, all the wires seem fine. Well from cranking it the battery was dead so I hooked jumper cable to it. And after alot of cranking and choking it it fired up. So i let it run and it seemed alright. I turned it off and then it wouldnt start again. after alot more cranking it fired up. I ran it and tried to cut my property with it. It was doing ok and then it stalled. . I treid to start it and it smoked and there was a little fire out the exhaust. I took the air filter off and it started up and then stalled on me. I pulled the plug to check for spark and there was none. But it will start after ALOT of cranking. I thought maybe the ignition module was going but i am not sure. Can anyone help me. I know there is gas cause u can smell it. Please help me.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: sounds like a bad ignition coil, usually when it gets hot and stalls, and will not start till cooled down, this is a sign of a bad coil. tony
  3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Ther are some type of coils on the engine that are going, we had a problem kind of like that.
  4. Zachary52902

why would it backfire and shot a flame out the exhaust?
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

it back fired because all that gas you smell got one question what kind of engine is it?
  6. Zachary52902

it is a 22hp kohler motor
  7. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the cylinder head gasket is blown.

A leakdown test will determine.
  8. Zachary52902

Even though its oil cooled?
  9. Zachary52902

Went to my lawn supplier today and ordered gaskets and ignition coils. Will be in tomorrow, hope it works. Will keep u guys updated.
  10. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

check the points