HELP MOWER Will not stay running!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rcrowetz, Aug 24, 2011.

1. rcrowetz

rcrowetz LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely Promaster 200 Mower with a Kawasaki 17hp The thing will start up but dies shortly after. I have placed a new carb on it and same thing...

If I hold the choke closed it wil stay running a bit longer but the engine idles down and up while doing so then...dies... I cant figure it out.

Thanks

Rob

2. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My kaki does same thing! Except I've paid hundreds to have everything fixed yet it still does it only longer interval
    S. Started at every 20-30 then mowed to every hour once carb was cleaned...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You'd be better off taking it to a small engine shop and have them look at it.

4. BradLewisLawnCare

That's where I spent hundreds. They started by doing small reapirs. Clean gas tank oil change clean carb and new spark plugs. Then they ran without blades on for an hour. I ran w blades on next day and it wanted to shut down from fuel starvation after being hot running 45 mins
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BradLewisLawnCare

6. rcrowetz

rcrowetz LawnSite Member

Bradlawncare,

I never opened the inside of the crankcase etc.. and as far as I know it never overheated so you are saying it could still be the governer if so isnt it inside the block and a pain to change?

7. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

have you checked the fuel line? use your fingers and pinch all the way up line, it may be as simple as a clog...I had the same problem awhile ago, some how leaves and grass compacted into a ball in the line.

8. weapons of grass destruction

weapons of grass destruction LawnSite Member

should move this to the mechanic & repair section.
    There are some good mechanics there

9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest checking fuel line, filter and pump, if it is getting fuel and the carb is clean then check the coils, I had an issue with them earlier this year where the mower wouldnt stall out but would start to run real rough after being used 30 - 40 minutes

10. BradLewisLawnCare

I'm saying I have no clue and I wished my solution was more apparent. I learned to blow off your mower or be screwed.
    Posted via Mobile Device