Help! Mulch spreading time is coming.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WayneRI, Feb 7, 2004.

1. WayneRI

WayneRI LawnSite Member

As I get older, I'm getting to dread Spring mulching jobs. Several customers have already contacted me, (one job is 22 yards). Just me and a helper, so can't afford mechanical equipment, dump truck, Express Blower, etc. I've either had it delivered to the driveway or sreet, and wheelbarrowed it from there, or hauled to the site in my pick-up and trailer.
    Has anyone come up with a better system, short of spending mega $ on speciallized equipment?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

on a large job i rented a power buggy like the ones they put concrete in and it will hold a yard of mulch and it dumps

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing we are looking into is using mulch colorant to prolong the amount of time in between mulchings. We have not yet used it, though we intend to "test" it at the office first.

I don't think we would recommend it to a client unless they already had a decent amount of mulch already in the beds. In other words, we probably wouldn't use it until after the 2nd or 3rd year of re-mulching.

We hope that the colorant will allow us to go to every-other-year on re-mulching. That will allow several things:
    #1- saves the client money, which keeps them happy (especially when you are talking 20 yards or better every year)

#2- the client can have "fresh" looking mulch for longer periods of time, without the smell that is typically associated with new bark mulch

#3- this is probably the most important of them all. Since everybody and their brother seems to want mulching done in the spring, it will hopefully allow us more time to do other things that we would rather be doing.

Once this d*mn snow melts off, we should be able to test it at the office. I will let you all know how the test goes!

Dan

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

The simplest method i have found is pitchfork and 15 gal plant containers. The containers give you better control on placement of mulch. This also leads to less time smoothing out and cleanup.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the easiest way iv found 3 rubermade cans fill them up put them on your wake behind instant power buggy and still manageable to take in to the beds and dump.

6. raystreet

raystreet LawnSite Member

WE GET OLDER AND SMARTER I FOUND IF STAY IN THIS BUSS

HIRE SOME GOOD HELP AND RAISE YOUR PRICES

THEN MULCHING BECOMES FUN AGAIN

BUTTERFLY LAWN CARE INC

7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Get more man power on the job.. I charge $40 dollars per yard plus the cost of the material of anything in a wheel barrow.

Chuck

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Look around and see if you have a blower service in your area....I use a local guy for all jobs over 10 yards. We both make out well when it is all said and done.