Help! My drip system never stops!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cbirdsong, Apr 30, 2007.

1. cbirdsong

cbirdsong LawnSite Member
    from arizona

Hi,
    I bought a brand new home with an existing drip irrigation system. It worked fine until I had a guy "extend" the system to my back yard.

The system is on a timer that is supposed to allow it to run for 30 min. a day.

Well, the problem is, the timer appears to no longer be functioning with the water system.

If I turn on the water line, the drip system starts and will run until I turn off the water line.

I've screwed with the timer, tried only turning the water line on a small amount (to lower water pressure) but nothing I do works, and I don't have any other ideas.

Anyone seen this before???

Thanks in advance...

*trucewhiteflag*

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

First, un plug the controller...I doubt that is the problem tho, but let's take that out of the loop. Turn on the water, I bet it still flows, which indicates a
    stuck valve that controls the drip...find the valve. At this point it mite be a good idea to bring in a pro..they'll have parts if it's a brand name. With the low flow of drip, sometimes algae can grow. If you're of nerve, open up the
    top of the valve, carefully watching for springs & clean the rubber diaphram
    & the electric solenoid port. Better drip systems have a "flush valve".

3. cbirdsong

cbirdsong LawnSite Member
    from arizona

I'll take a look. I'm a serious newbie, so may have to call in an expert. Thx for the advice though!

4. Mike Leary

I mite have been a little vague, the valve you're looking for is the electric
    valve...follow the wires from the controller..they will connect to the 24-volt
    valve you're looking for.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Check your wiring, and clear/re-set your timer using the instructions. If you don't have instructions you can usually download them off the company who makes the controllers website. Re-set it and then turn on the line using manual control, set it for a few min then see if the controller turns the water on and shuts it off when that time is up. Then tell us what happened.

6. Mike Leary

Are you even reading the threads? If the controller is suspect with a open
    valve, unplugging..remove battery...drink Lawn/Buckner...wait....not....
    it's almost always a stuck open valve....jezz She, just when I was starting
    to support your cause!

7. sheshovel

I KNOW that, but you don't want him messing with the valve do ya? Hahhaaaa!

Sorry Mike I have a sick sense of humor.

8. Mike Leary

O.k. I wondered about that advice too...thanks irrimom

9. sheshovel

I was waiting for you to tell him to smack the valve with a hammer. irridaddy

10. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

I highly doubt this but, did the guy accidentally connect the drip to your mainline? Or while he was checking the system out, might have left the solenoid turned or the bleeder screw open.