1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help, my first "real" estimate tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Aug 31, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys i need some advice i am goin on my first real estimate tomorrow, what do i need to take with me, ive thought about getting some estimate books from Staples to make notes on and look professional,although im just a part timer i want them to realize that i know what im doing even if i dont these first couple of estimates..........so any tips on what i should tell them have with me, give them ? just any thing will help THANKS IN ADVANCE....Ben
  2. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i would just dress decent and give the customer your best guess on the type of work they want done. i sometimes write out an estimate sheet for just mowing and if it is a landscape job i will write down what they want done,take it home and print out a price/estimate sheet on the computer and take it back to them.
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bring your business cards, a clipboard, your job quote sheets, and your equipment...in case they want you to cut it right then.
  4. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

yeah and bring your equipment, i picked up an account yesterday and the customer wanted it cut right then. thankfully i had my equipment with me as always like i do this time year. priced it and had it cut within 45 minutes. so it would be a good idea to bring it with you.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I just estimated a 2 hour job yesterday. Told the guy $130 and he said OK...and when I said "I'll get it done today", his facial expression was priceless! Of course I didn't have my equipment with me and had to go get it but it worked out fine. Finished right before dark and the rain/lightning storm. But, by doing that it has opened a door for a couple thousand dollar job with the same guy.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but to look like you know what you are doing, you need to know what you are doing.... and you dont yet....

take the advise given about dress and presentation, go make the bid, make a few mistakes, and learn from them, and you are on your way.....:)
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That's pretty much the only way to do it. Dive in head first. I have learned that you can't be scared to make mistakes...because it will happen and you will feel like a goofball. But that's part of it. daveintoledo has good advice. That is how you start out. Good Luck!
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Hand them a business card as soon as you get there, if you have any. By the way, how'd you come up with "the one and only Lawn Ranger?"
    There are a bunch of them out there... There's a few right here in tennessee.
    The following towns have "lawn rangers"
    There are probably more, too.
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Agreed 100% Dave, And I'm not so sure taking your equipment with you is such a good idea. For one I'm not sure what equipment you have, but if you came to my house with a crapsman 21" mower and a couple of other things I may think twice about hiring you. (first of all I guess it depends on what kind of estimate you are giving). Second, imo- that makes it seem like you are not a very busy company therefore maybe something's wrong. At any rate good luck.
  10. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Make sure you fully understand what they are wanting done. I made the mistake 2 times of quoting a weekly price to find out later that they only want service every 10 days-2 weeks. In that case I should have gave a higher quote.