Help my Grass is dieing!!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by shaker31280, Jun 28, 2013.

1. shaker31280

shaker31280 LawnSite Member

All,

So I maintain my lawn myself, and this is what I have done this year.

4/25 - Scotts Fertilizer with Crab Grass Preventor
    5/10 - Ortho Bug-B-Gone
    5/29 - Scotts Weed & Feed

I water every morning at 6am.

My lawn was growing perfect and green. Now it is starting to die all over the place.

I am not sure what to do. I called Lawn Doctor but they wouldnt speak with me they just dropped off an estimate, not saying anything about what I had other then red thread which I am not sure as I dont see any 'red threads' like in pictures at all. I really think the guy just checked off boxes and left.

Anyway, I tried mowing the lawn real short and bag, to maybe get some of the dead grass up. Still that had no effect.

Let me know what you think I should do........

Attached are pics

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

2. ernieknows

ernieknows LawnSite Member

Do not water every day.
    The lawn needs one inch a week all at once.
    If it rains enough, you do not water.
    If you water, do it only once in a week.

You have fertilized, which makes the grass want to grow.
    When the grass is actively growing do not cut short.
    Bluegrass and fescue do well at 3 inches.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  3. shaker31280

Thanks for the watering suggestions.

As for mowing, I mow/mulch once a week at the highest setting on my mower. The only reason I cut it short the one time was to try and pick up some of the dead grass. Then I returned back to the higest setting.

4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Brown patch. Less frequent watering. Less nitrogen as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. shaker31280

Thanks. So should I put down Scotts Fungus control? I am guessing not to fertlize since you said less nitrogen. Do I need to replant seed? Or is the grass root and crown still alive just the blades dead?

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

The crown may be alive still. Depends. Yes. Apply fungicide. Don't reseed until fall
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. shaker31280

Does anyone think this is dollar spot or deffinately brown patch? I read and they are so similar from the looks of it
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is Pythium root rot. You will need to apply a 0-2-1 ratio to recover this turf. You will also need to understand proper irrigation management in terms of when to apply H2O. Do not expect quick recovery if rain is abundant.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The common thread of most all fungal disease is too much water and too little air in the soil i.e., drainage and soil structure...
    Too much N, also plays in the picture with many of the fungal diseases, although there are also fungal diseases that will pop up with too little N...

Get off the Scott's Program and start growing real turf that is healthy...
    Note the following:
    http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-disease-updates/benefits-late-fall-fertilization

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

yep, number 1 reason i don't do free evaluations right there. good for them for leaving the estimate and running.. lol.