1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help! My lead to an $8600 job wants me to add $3000 to my invoice for himself!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Chrysalis, Nov 5, 2008.

1. T&J Landscaping

T&J Landscaping LawnSite Member

u kno that 3,000 u got to add to invoice, you got to pay taxes on that ,, because the company will claim it on there taxes, i think you should just talk to the lady your self and give no finders fee,, he is trying to rob you and her,, obama stuff started already
  2. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Wrong forum btw Obama is a proper noun.
  3. T&J Landscaping

yea i kno it is the wrong forum ,,
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

its your contract not his theres nothing signed saying he gets a penny if he wants to do the work then let him write the contracts but since he didnt have him take your 5% or nothing
  5. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I would say, "no," to the guy who gave me the lead. You tell this guy, "This is my business and I make my policy. 5% is what you get."

Then I would also tell your client this. Something to the effect of, "I feel it my duty as a respected business man to inform you that your friend who gave me this lead has asked for a large amount of money as a finders fee, $3000, and feels that if I increased your estimate to $11,600 you would not have a problem. I don't know if that's true or not, however it is not my practice to have others dictate my pricing, thus your original estimate of $8600 stands."

This way you're being honest with your client, and upfront, so if this guy does try to say something behind your back, you're covered.

just my $.02
    good luck!
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

What an ignorant comment, it speaks volume about your intelligence or lack there of.
  7. T&J Landscaping

how does it speak lack of intelligence ? the guy wanted 5% they agreed on now he wants $3,000 ,, what a greedy bastard , greedy leads to nothing at the end ,,
  8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im referring to you your comment.
  9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

BS, tell him no. Your prices are your prices. They make a name for your company, could get you more business, etc.
  10. Grace Irrigation

Grace Irrigation LawnSite Member

Lets say you do the job and add the extra 3,000 and your customer is pleased with you and the job you did. The guy takes his money and he is gone. Now she has a friend that needs the same amount of work and you charge her 8,600 because that is what the job is worth. Now the integrity of you and your company is on the line.

For some reason this guy is trying to take advantage of you. Tell him you are giving him the 5% or nothing.