HELP...my new motor blew up in 30 seconds, why???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by instyle, Nov 20, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am put a new 14.5hp briggs and stratton on my ZTR, I bought it brand new in the box. When I first pulled the motor out of the box I checked the oil and there was oil, how ever...it looked bright(neon) yellow, I hooked it up and started it ran it for about 20 seconds, then tried the left wheel lever, and the motor quit; it sounded a bit like the belt was slipping. I pulled the belt off and now it is very tough to turn the engine over (using the recoil). So tough that the engine will not start.
    I checked the oil and there was none on the dipstick....what the hell. Before I started it....there was. I added a full liter just to bring it up to full.

What did I do? What could be wrong?

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

OOPS!!! sounds like you might need to buy another one:(

3. DEEREBOY14

DEEREBOY14 LawnSite Member

when you buy a new engine they put just anuff oil to lube it till it gets sold you all ways have to put oil in a new engine

4. instyle

from Canada

DAMN!!!!

Well, I know it didn't sieze up....it still turns over; it is just very hard to turn over. What would you say is wrecked? and is it possible to wreck it in under 20 seconds?

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you searious? How is someone in this line of work not smart enough to fill the motor up with oil BEFORE running it? I guess you'll be buying another motor now. Expensive mistake on your part. Maybe next time let a dealer do the work.

6. instyle

from Canada

I did check the oil and the was oil on the dipstick. I am sure of this. Hell, my wife asked me this morning if i needed oil for it. I told her that I checked and there was oil in it. Not alot...but there was.
    What do i need to replace? crank bearings? valves?

I mean 20 seconds and it is wrecked? are you serious?

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Even only 20-30 seconds, with no oil/lubricant on the cylinder wall, it's proably scoured beyond repair. Piston & rings are probably shot. It will be cheaper to replace the hole motor rather then attempt to fix. I wouldn't even bother with a short block, just buy a whole motor.

8. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

That's why I would never buy a briggs. Stick with Kaw. or Honda's. Oil sensing unit that won't allow a motor to start if too low on oil. Didn't the motor have a huge tag on it saying it fill the oil before starting?

9. instyle

from Canada

I too thought that if there was no oil in it, that i would have a huge stricker telling you to add oil. But it didn't. Well doesn't this suck!!!

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

How old are you? How much did YOU pay for the ztr and the engine? Or is dad going to have to cover it?