Help my Scag Strip Better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wmshay6, Apr 30, 2011.

1. wmshay6

wmshay6 LawnSite Member

I have a SCAG Tiger Cub w/48" Velocity cuter deck.

From day one it has never striped very well. Love the mower, just wish it striped better. This season I raised the adjustable baffle all the way up. It helps a little, but I still don't get those contrasting stripes I am looking for.

Are there any things I can do to get it to stripe better or am I destined to buy SCAG's overpriced striping kit? I have see the larger turf tigers stripe very well, but my deck doesn't compare.

I'm cutting Fescue at about 3.5 inches.

2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a tiger cub with the 48" velocity deck as well and i think it strips just fine, depends on the lawn. try cutting at 3.75 see if that helps you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think those looks too bad, my customers say the lawn looks great, they seem happy with the job. although I would like a to upgrade to wildcat with 61" deck but, I really don't need to spend the extra 4000.

the first picture was from today, and was 3.75" and the second picture was from last fall and I cut that lawn at 3.25 for a last cut, and I could see the stripes until feb or march, and I alternate my cutting pattern every cut, up-down, left-right, diagonal-left and right and even vary the angle of the diagonal, usually a 45* angle but sometimes I cut alot less of an angle, sometime alot more the 45*.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

4. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the diagonals I cut today in the first picture look just as good with no striper kit.

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

put a level on your deck front front to back on each side. It should be a 1/3 lower in the back than the front and level across the front.