HELP My Shindaiwa wont edge!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Clayton800, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    Have a problem here, and hope you might have some suggestions. I use a few Shindaiwa t270's and two of them, when I flip them over to edge with, they run terrible. They have no power and just wont tackle the job. However, when running them right side up, they run great! but as soon as I flip the unit over it sputters.

now, I went through each of them, cleaned out the carb, muffler, exaust port, changed the fuel filters, messed with the carb adjustment screw, all of wich yielded no improvements. I also run the shindaiwa oil in the mix. I took off the spark arrestor, and installed a new NKG spark plug.

Any one ever had this problem before? I cant figure it out. Both units are under a year old, I would take them in for service but the dealer here is so slow, he should have done by Christmas.

Any suggestions? HELP

Thanks

Bryan

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: ummm, nver had that problem usually turn them upside down to clear them out when we first start them in the morning, the only thing i can think of is that you have a problem with the gas caps. tony

3. Flyrod

Flyrod LawnSite Member

It's time for a carb rebuild.

4. grasmo

grasmo LawnSite Member
    from fl

try bending the float/fuel pump tang up a little.

5. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

The fuel pickup lines may need replaced. When you turn the
    trimmer on its side, the cracks/holes in the lines are above the fuel level and sucking air.
    Fish

6. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

My old JDXT120 did that i tryed to find the problem but couldn't Finnally decided it my be time for a new one:D

If the carb rebuild works tell me it will mak a great backup.

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure when you flip it over your fuel pick up/filter is following the fuel.

8. metrognome

metrognome LawnSite Member

look at the inlet control lever for a "divot" at the contact point where the diaphragm button touches it.
    several of our customers have experienced this problem but couldn't wait to have us run it through the shop and just loosened the clamp that holds the power unit to the shaft tube and turned the engine so it was "right side up" when edging. Seems to work until they can leave it for carb rebuild ;o)

metrognome