Help! My Walker mower leaves tire divots.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bryansong, Jun 22, 2008.

1. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

I purchased a used 48" SD Walker mower last Spring and I have always had trouble with the drive wheels/tires tearing up the grass on 180 degree turns. It might be worse turning right but I'm not sure. Part of the problem could be my driving but for the most part I think it is the mower.
    I think there is some problem with te right hydro transmission because when I opened up the top plug to check the fluid level it was low, real low. I compared it with the left hydro. I tried adding fluid via the reservoir but it seemed plugged up and wouldn't accept fluid. After blowing it out with an air hose I topped off the transmission again (via the plug, bolt in top) along with making sure the reservoir was properly filled. This made it steer better but stil, divots.
    I have an appointment with my local Walker dealer to have it looked at whenever they can get me in but they looked at it last Summer and didn't find anything wrong with it. Are they not trying hard enough, have I not mastered the turn, or is this just the nature of this mower? I have never used a new Walker so I don't have anything to compare it to. My last ZTR was a Ransome Twin Track 2000 but when it's deck rusted out I bought the Walker.
    Sorry for the ramblings but I just wanted to give you some backround.
    Do you Walker guys have divot problems? Can I be hopeful that the dealer can correct this problem?
    Any advice?

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

maybe a "tee" would help. :D

3. bryansong

He He:clapping:

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

You need to keep both drive wheels moving while turning, one wheel goes forward the other backwards on each turn.

5. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

We need a forum or sticky on how to drive a ZTR becuase I am getting tired of these post...:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

6. bryansong

With all due respect, I have been driving a ZTR since 1995, as I stated I owned a Ransome. This mower is a bit different.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

have you ran a Walker yet, Must be bringing that plethora of oil Knowledge into all the forums. Walkers don't need the brute force to steer them, you would know that

8. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

Yes I have drove and worked 1200 hrs on GHS walker.. You are on the look out. Thanks for policing the forum, BTW I have been mowing commercial since 1989 soooo where does your knowledge come in??? Bye Bye.:usflag: