Help!.. Name this weed they will not go away

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Alphax, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Alphax

Alphax LawnSite Member

I'm having a huge problem with these weeds I'm in San Antonio, TX... Can anyone identify it??

I pull and pull but they keep coming back. I'm tired of pulling them is there anyway to prevent them and does anyone know what to use to kill them please. I've done alot of web searching but I cant find a definitive answer.

These are pics after mowing 2 days ago... If I let them go they will go into seed. I believe the smaller weeds are the same weed but in it's immature form.

IMG_3759x.jpg

IMG_3762x.jpg

IMG_3764x.jpg

IMG_3766x.jpg

IMG_3767x.jpg

2. Richtree Lawns

Richtree Lawns LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Looks like Orchardgrass

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

You have at least 2 different weeds...maybe 3.

Top..nut sedge......spray with carefully with manage or really f'n carefully with a trimec plus. Nut sege of that type LOVES acid areas...check ph

Second looks like crabgrass.....there are sprays, but in the heat with a plant that big, you're f'ed..pick it

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

nut sedge cannot be prevented (exception being ph adjustment if way too low) it only comes in the 80ish temps

If that plant in pic 2 is the same as in the other pic, it isnt crabgrass

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Nutsedge is a pain.

6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Both problem weeds are easily controlled with Sedgehammer and Acclaim. Nutsedge and crabgrass respectively.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The second one is not crabgrass. as stated above, it looks more like an Dallis grass or barnyard grass. I would love to see the seedhead, though. For some reason, Foxtail; somehow comes to mind, also. It is just a bit thin for that, though. The pretty looking green stuff is a sedge, though.

8. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

Try Certainty! It Will Kill Nutsedge Dead In Its Tracks. The Cost Is Over A 100.00 And You Only Mix 1 Gram Per Gallon.

9. Alphax

Alphax LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply's. hmmm.. I hate weeds! The top one doesnt seed like the nutsedge pics I've seen though.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Pic 1 & 5 are yellow nutsedge. Not sure about the others, but they look like annual grasses? >> foxtail? None look like dallisgrass though. I worked in Dallas and SA back in the early 80's, and we we used MSMA on dallisgrass.