1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help...Need 21" Recommendations TONIGHT!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf-R-Us, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Turf-R-Us

Turf-R-Us LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I'm trying to phase out my two Crapsman 21"ers in favor of a single commercial mower to use for the long haul. I already have a 36" WB and a 44" Z, but I need something for the occasional gated backyard (3-7 per week). The Crapsmans run OK, but they're just to SLOOOWWW to mow with. The options I'm considering are:

Gravely Pro 21SCH Com'l w/5.5hp Com'l Honda ($699 on sale)
    Deere JX75 Com'l w/Kawi 6.75hp Kawi ($875 not on sale)
    Toro Proline Com'l 6hp Kawi w/o BBC ($999 not on sale)
    Snapper (Res. Model ELP21703BV) w/7hp B&S ($679 on sale)

I'm leaning towards the Gravely (partly because my Z is a Gravely, buy) primarily because of the build-quality for the price. However I've never seen a Gravely Pro 21 perform. I know the Toro is supposed to be the pinnacle of 21" mowerdom, and the Snapper may be a good almost-commercial choice, and the Gravely is missing a BBC, but its hard to resist the attraction of the heavy duty Gravely for $100 off its regular price....and the sale ends tomorrow).

Is my thought process all wet, or would grabbing the Gravely be a smart purchase, even if it ranked at the bottom of the most-wanted list? All opinions welcomed.
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the gravely is just an ariens with a different name. not really that well built . i have had every comm mower made and the best is the jd jx75 (too bad they stopped making the jx85) . honda is my second choice in hydro . the toro only has 3 speeds -2 are too fast and only 1st is really useable. the snapper is a unreliable mess. just look at the drive sys. same for the gravely . the jd is the winner and does everything well. no faults buy one and be happy
  3. Turf-R-Us

from Kansas

Thanks for the rec, Dan. My concern with the Deere stems from previous posts I've read about the product. Specifically, some users complained about reliability of certain parts (cables, transmissions, etc.), but most seemed to agree that service (labor) and parts would be significantly more expensive in the long run (wheels cost $25 each!) than with just about any other commercial brand out there. If I spend more for the mower, it requires more parts to run, and it costs me more to maintain over the next 10+ years, where is the extra value in buying the Deere?
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend the Toro proline. We have one that is 7yrs old still used daily. The only things we have replaced have been tires and a few belts.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We run the Snapper commericial units and haven't had any significant problems. It is a design that hasn't changed in many years. Don't have any significant problems with the drive since they changed the belt design several years ago. I like the variable speed and it does okay on mulching and okay on bagging. If you need a bagger go with the Honda, but I don't know if they have figured out mulching?
  6. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

The Toro is an excellent choice, however, consider the Honda engine as well. I know it is a bit more, but that engine is really bullet-proof. The Kaw is ok, but there have been a few issues with it. If you are really lucky, you might find a Toro with a Suzuki 2 cycle, but it will be tough since they quit selling them.....Mike
  7. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Buy the commercial snapper with the kawi. Don't shortchange yourself with the residential. The snapper is a good mower and inexpensive to fix when you do it yourself! My .02

8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Toro Proline from the sponser above "power equipment warehouse" is a good price. I didn't look at shipping though.

This mower will last you many years.
  9. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

We run 3 toro 1 kawi, 2 honda. The kawi is better to us. hope this helps
  10. Turf-R-Us

from Kansas

Thanks to all for your feedback and opinions. Most have told me why they prefer the brand they use. However, since I'm obviously biased towards Gravely (as I'm sure everyone else is towards their respective brands) do any of you have experience running Gravely's. There are obvoiusly unique advantages inherent in each brand, Gravely's advantage in this case is price. Theirs is the only "commercial" grade mower in the lineup in the $700 price range. A comparable Toro, Honda, Snapper commercial mower will cost me at least $1,000 (I know the Deere is only $850, but I'm assuming that their price will be comparable to the others in the long term once you add in upkeep costs). For 3-7 lawns a week worth of use, I cannot ignore a 30% price advantage.

What I guess I'm looking for is information on why I should ignore that $300 savings and not buy a Gravely...factors like bad cut quality, inferior mulching (i.e. Snapper) and/or bagging, inferior construction or reliability will be better indicators of what I can expect from this product. I understand why everyone likes their favorite brand, but what makes Gravely so undesireable despite the 30% cost advantage?