1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help! Need a large travelling sprinkler...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by nextphaseenviro, Feb 5, 2008.

1. nextphaseenviro

nextphaseenviro LawnSite Member

We are looking for one of the large travelling type sprinklers (hose pulls way out and is then wound up by the water pressure) that are used to water athletic fields and such. I have a 2" supply on 100' centers all around our site and need to water seeding we wil be doing in the spring there. I can only find Nelson that makes one of these, is there anyone else?

2. Do a google search for big gun irrigation or big gun slurry irrigation....

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Buckner makes one for athletic fields. A big pipe winder mechanism is for much larger water supplies.

4. I spent a whole summer setting these up and watering roughs at Brookhaven Country Club. The whole 54 hole golf course was nothing but QC. Automated it long after I left.
  5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

6. Wet_Boots

I would be guessing that most football fields would be laid out with QCVs near the 50-yard lines, which is what the RainCoach and Nelson travelers are designed for. The 100-foot spacing mentioned by the OP is in line with those products. The reels for big guns could handle larger ag settings.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Have installed a Buckner traveler..used 1" hose & 1" q.c.s
    The layout of the q.c.s are the tricky part..I believe the Nelson
    is still made & the Buckner is by Storm now. Lotsa labor required!
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

if you're on 100' centers why not just put a big head on there ands carry it around.
  9. Wet_Boots

Too much work? Not enough pressure for a big gun? I think the old Royal Coach catalog listed the traveler with a special 3/4 impact head that could work at lower pressures than the Buckner page shows.
  10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

this would be a cheap solution...