Help Need Advice?? On Growing grass on a slope

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Mar 19, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

Hello, I am wondering if some one can help me with this problem? The hill is about 50ft wide by 40 ft long it is about a 45 degree slope. Give or take some. It has one oak tree in the middle so it is shaded! Right now it is about all dirt no grass! Maybe someone could give me the steps they would take to start me in the right direction to get this area growing? Thank you so much! Cory
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Lawrence or Ray?
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Will it be irrigated and watered regularly?

Will it be mowed regularly? Who will be mowing it?

If grass is to be planted I would take a soil sample first and see what the condition of the soil is. Since you are dealing with 2000 sf at the angle you describe then I would either lay sod or hydroseed. Considering the angle and the need for soil prep hydroseeding may be the best and safe choice.

Be very careful mowing slopes like this, one mistake and chop-chop, had a guy 2-3 years ago with half his foot cut off from this type slope.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What type of soil is there now, black dirt, sand and gravel or clay? A soil test might help but if it's in shade all the time it might be a bigger problem.

For your area I would use a good blue grass mixture with erosion control blanket to stop the seed and dirt washing away. use North American Green straw blanket DS150 for longer lasting control. I would use a 8-32-32 starter ferlizer, with more info could suggest more but this will start you on your way.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you just gotta have grass.You might consider
    a juniper or some other ground cover.You dont have to mow that.
  6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

What compass direction does the slope face, AllSAllR, and is it irrigated?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, one thing you probably ARE going to find with the soil sample, is that it will be a high acid because of the Oak tree. This will need to be neutralized. Even with this, it would be beneficial to thin the Oak for more sunlight onto th grass. This isn't just to benefit the turf, but to benefit the tree as well.
  8. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

Well thanks for all the replys!!! The soil type is just black dirt!! Yes it would be watered regulary but the problem is when it rains guess where it all runs to!! There is one more thing i don't know if it would be a factor or not but will tell you anyway! About 65 ft away is the rock river!! Yuky river!! LOL
  9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Thats why you need the erosion control blanket. nothing works as well as an erosion blanket on slopes like that.