1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! Need advice on trees?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ParkerLawn, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I just planted 13 Cleveland Pear trees 3.5" and they all have leaves turning brown and the trees have been watered everyday so its not from lack of water. I suspect that it transplant shock and they will be fine but haven't ever run across this before. Has anyone ever seen this before or have any advice?
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It is probably fire blight. We just had the same thing happen to us. It was checked out by an arborist. I don't know how he treated it, but he expects it to refoliate next spring.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where did you buy the trees? Nurseries and other places usually give you a year warranty. Call where you bought them and check about the warranty. They will usually replace the trees or some type of exchange.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Overwatering can be just as bad as not enough, especially if it is very humid where you are.
  5. ParkerLawn

from KY

It definitely isn 't fire blight and they turned this way in 3 days. I watered them initially setting them in and have watered 1 other time but am careful not to waterlog them. I was hoping someone might have had the samething happen but will talk to the nursery tommorrow. Thanks for the replies.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK again,have you watered them everyday for 3 days or have you watered them once when planted and then once since then?Were they allowed to dry out did you make sure the rootballs were well wetted before planting?I am not recommending planting out anything this time of year.They are either too wet ,too dry,or were dessicated by delivery or are"HUNG"(pulled away from the rootball at the top)
    Were they delivered in an open truck?Laying down in the bed or standing up?Stick your hand down there and feel the rootball,is it dry?Saturated?I don't believe in transplant shock,if it happenes it does not have to.\
    Are the brown leaves dropping ?Or staying on the trees?
    More info more info needed.
  7. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

not under-watered or over-watered, next guess would be wind burn from transporting improperly.
  8. ParkerLawn

from KY

The trees were transported in a truck with covered tarp. The branches were loosely tied to hold them together for transport by the nursery. I saturated the ball before backfilling them with good topsoil. They have been watered every other day to keep from drying out. The balls were dry when I received them from the nursery so i am guessing this is probably the cause and look for them to leaf out after they drop their leaves. The roots are good as the balls held together fine setting them in the ground. As of now the leaves are still on the trees and not falling yet. I checked under the bark and it is still very healthy looking and not dry.
  9. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Summer dug bradfords must be installed same day or the leaves will get brown and slimy. If longer, usually ends in a shade house under mist to temper the tree for planting. Were the trees irrigated prior to digging to make sure the rootball was moist.

3.5"bradford has a large rootball..42" is normal...usually sized up for a summer dig. What was your size.
  10. ParkerLawn

from KY

Trees were on a drip irrigation at the nursery prior to delivery. I installed them immediately after unloading them and watered also. You are right on at 42" for size.