Help, need advice on using a slit seeder!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Apr 20, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any tips for using a slit seeder to help fill in some bare spots and/or lawns that have been damaged by the drought last year and only have like 60-80% of turf left?

Is it crucial to fertilize right after or would the seed still stand a strong chance of germinating without it?

I've read it is better to purchase seed from a lawn and garden center instead of a big box store like lowes because the seed is more alive or healthy, is this true?

Does the grass have to be watered immediately after or will the seed be ok if I let nature take it's course ( rain)?

I've got 3 lawns set up for this tommorow and I don't want to have to set up sprinkler systems if I don't have to, as that would cramp my time badly.

2. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any tips for using a slit seeder to help fill in some bare spots and/or lawns that have been damaged by the drought last year and only have like 60-80% of turf left?

Is it crucial to fertilize right after or would the seed still stand a strong chance of germinating without it?
    You can fertilize before during or after I usually do it after.

I've read it is better to purchase seed from a lawn and garden center instead of a big box store like lowes because the seed is more alive or healthy, is this true?
    Buy your seed from a Lawn and Garden or seed distributor the seed if Far Far better then the crap at the box stores

Does the grass have to be watered immediately after or will the seed be OK if I let nature take it's course ( rain)?
    I always give the lawn a good soaking after I'm done and then instruct the customer to do the same each day. For best results first thing in the morning before they leave for work..

I've got 3 lawns set up for this tomorrow and I don't want to have to set up sprinkler systems if I don't have to, as that would cramp my time badly.
    I know time is always a issue but also Quality is an issue Quality work takes time. It may take a little longer but good Quality work will generate more work.

3. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

A big issue here is the fact that all 3 of these customers are elderly and so may not be able or have the desire to get out and water each day. I don't have time to water it for them each day but maybe I could at least set out a sprinkler that they can just move around.

What is the best depth for germination of Kent blue grass? I've read that most grasses it's 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

And is fertilization crucial or not? I didn't factor in the cost and time involved in doing this with the estimate I gave. I guess I could tack on the extra if need be. i just don't want to do it unless it's truly going to do well. 2/3 of them already have another co. they use for fertilizing so I don't want to OVERdo it u know!

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your going to be overseeding the lawn make sure to set the seed rate on the seeder a little higher than recommended and seed in two directions. I always roll the lawn after overseeding for good seed/soil contact and have always had good results. Before you seed check the PH of the lawn in several different areas and if its low ad lime. The new seed shouldn't need to be watered since its still early in the season and there is more than enough rain.

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Use a good starter fert like a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20. If they already have a fert co make sure they call them and tell them they seeded otherwise they may apply a pre-emergent or weed control that will kill your seed!!! Or maybe the already have....