Help need some info on mower choices? Thanks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by letzgoblues, Feb 9, 2010.

1. letzgoblues

letzgoblues LawnSite Member
    from StL

I am having trouble deciding what to do. I am starting my business in a residential area and will be mowing allot of fenced lawns. I have looked at the quick 32 or a 36 toro. I have $10,000 and will be buying an enclosed trailer, trimmer, blower. and mowers. Should I buy a 32 and finance a 48 or 52? Should I just buy a 36 and use it for everything and maybe later buy a larger mower. There is a toro dealer close by. I would appreciate any info Thanks

2. KC lawn guy

KC lawn guy LawnSite Member

I run a 36 wright stander but they make a 32, they are shorter than a walk behind so they take up less space in the trailer. I also have a 52 stander and the two I think is a good combo, atleast you see alot around here. there fast and easy to run. alot of people think that standing on a mower is dumb but if you get in trouble you can just step off and i know they sell them in louie im just right down I70 from ya. if you have any more questions let me know ill be happy to help

3. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

1st - measure you're fence openings.

You're mower choice should be based on you're property size & fence openings. In NJ, our fence openings are wide for newer fences. I see a lot of companies running Wright 36" & 52" combo's around here. I use a 48" but have been considering adding a 36" for some smaller properties. Again, choice will be based on your properties. I have a friend in northwest NJ that mows 2 - 5 acre properties w/ no fences all day....he would never buy a 36" and a 48" is a trim mower for him.

4. letzgoblues

from StL

Thanks, I think your correct about the standing mower. Have you had alot of trouble with fenced properties and fitting a 36?

5. letzgoblues

from StL

Thanks for the info Mike. I will be working with lots of fenced properties and will need to get in and out easy to save time. I am leaning toward a 32 and 52. Can anyone suggest a reliable brand 32?

6. KC lawn guy

KC lawn guy LawnSite Member

No i havent had a problem. you can find them used on craigs list for pretty reasonalble right now but like mike said it all depends on gate size. and i only have a few with gates that i need the 36 for, some of them i can fit the 52 through