Help! Need to make a decision!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jjhu00, Jun 13, 2005.

1. jjhu00

jjhu00 LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am a newbi to zero turn and riding mowers in general. I just purchased some property with about 2 acres of mowing, and need a rider. I am presently mowing with my trusty Honda self-propelled walk behind. It takes me about 4 hours to get everything mowed with the Honda. I went to my local Hustler dealer and he offered me a Mini Fastrak 16/42 for ($3599) and a Fastrak 16/44 for ($3969) are these good prices? I would like to know if the Fastrak 16/44 is really worth the extra money for residential use. I understand the hydro's are better in the Fastrak and the frame is bigger. But for mowing 2 acres does it really make a noticeable difference in realiablity and logeivity over the Mini Fastrak?

Thanks.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

2 acres once a week..... you may be better off with the better hydro's in the FasTrak.
    Do you have any hills?
    The FasTrak will hold more fuel, obviously has a bit larger deck, it has the better hydro's and the larger frame and rear width will work better for any slopes you may be cutting.

Pj

3. jjhu00

jjhu00 LawnSite Member

Pj

Yes I do have a long steep hill/slope that I mow with my walker currenlty. I think it maybe too steep to use a rider on the steepest part of the hill so I would use my self-propelled on that part of it. Do you think a Fastrak 18/52 would work better than a 16/44 on steep hills? Because I talked to my local dealer and he just so happens to have a demo 18/52 with 2 hours on it and is willing to let it go for $4500. Is a 18/52 too much mower for my application?

Thanks in adavance.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i shopped the prices on a 17/42 mini-fasttrak. your price is about
    $400-$500 higher than the best prices i found. it did take some haggling to get the prices to $3100, and prices depend on the area market.
    the 17/42 should do your lawn in about 1.5 hrs depending on landscaping. i think the hydros are rated for 700-800 hrs. you have to do the math and decide what is the best value for you.
    the bottom line is that any Hustler will make you happy

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 18/52 wouldn't be to much overkill, shoot, I use a 60" mower to mow my 1/8th of a acre....lol...lol....
    The wider track of the 52" unit will help you more on slopes.

Pj

6. nz7lxg

nz7lxg LawnSite Member

I purchased a 16/36 Mini FasTrack last year to mow my 1/2 acre. It work great even with a side bagger. The mini would probably do the job, however like the comments above, I would go with a bigger FasTrack if I were you.