Help needed for filtration.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by haulinggrass, Jul 29, 2007.

1. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I have a six month old pond . I have a three barrel filter system that doesn't work well. I haven't finished the pond yet and need help on how to rework them this fall. The barrels are level with the water level. They get water from a bottom drain with two inch pipes. Now the first barrel is for settling only, the next two have a floating media in them. I also have a small water fall feed from a skimmer. I was thinking of pulling out the barrels and the go back with concreate blocks to make larger chambers. The pond will also have a veggie pond the same size to help. How do I proceed? The pond is 14,000 gallons with one pump of 7500 gph. Thanks for any help.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a six month old pond. I have a three barrel filter system that doesn't work well.

Vic: Since your pond-system contains 14,500 gallons of water, it doesn't surprise me that your three barrel filter system is ineffective. That's like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound Buddy.

The barrels are level with the water level.

Vic: That means you have a gravity-fed filtration system.

They get water from a bottom drain with two inch pipes.

Vic: The fact that you only installed 1 bottom drain on such a large pond is going to cause you some serious issues that will need to be addressed if you ever plan on getting your filtration system to work properly. I'd recommend installing at least 1 more bottom drain that's designed for 4" plumbing. One that's designed for aeration would also be a good idea.

Now the first barrel is for settling only, the next two have a floating media in them.

Vic: The problem here, is that a 55 gallon barrel won't afford the water passing through it enough dwell time to allow particulates to settle out. Getting particles in the water to settle out is obviously the purpose of a settling chamber.

I was thinking of pulling out the barrels and the go back with concreate blocks to make larger chambers.

Vic: That sounds like an excellent idea. This way, you'll be able to make your settling chamber large enough to settle out particles.

The pond will also have a veggie pond the same size to help.

Vic: This is another great idea that will work wonders for your water chemistry.

How do I proceed? The pond is 14,000 gallons with one pump of 7500 gph.

Vic: Before I can address this question, I need to know more about your pond and its intended use. What's this pond going to be used for? If you have any pictures of this pond, I'd like to see them.

3. haulinggrass

The pond has some small Koi in it now. I guess the intended use is a hobby.
    The pond was made in red clay area. I can take and post some pictures tonight to show you what it looks like now. Thanks

100_1801.jpg

100_1805.jpg

4. haulinggrass

This is how it looks now. The main pump gets 80 percent from skimmer and 20 from bottom drain. The barrels filter the water from the bottom drain. The water is then pumped into the water fall. The small yellow pump is something I just installed with the UV light in the end. I want to see if this helps to clear up my water. The water from the small pump goes into the small upper pond with the plants. I think more of the green water is from me over feeding my fish and using fertilizer for the plants. Any comments welcome. I would like some good help on the direction I should take this pond.

100_1873aa.jpg

100_1874aa.jpg

100_1875aa.jpg

100_1876aa.jpg

100_1877aa.jpg