Help needed for pricing tick control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mkroher, May 16, 2007.

1. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Would anyone mind giving a few tips on how to price tick control apps?

Do you measure the edge of the property that abuts woods? Measure the beds? Counts the ornamentals? Or does one just stare at the property and think: "uh....$xx"?

Anyone help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You need to know how much product you will use to do the application and how much it will cost you!

3. mkroher

How do you know going into a property the first time? Experience?

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We measure the entire property. We charge 1.5 times what a lawn app would be. We use "Crosscheck" by LESCO. We spray with a tree/shrub pistol at about 400 psi. We change nozzle size depending on wind and how heavy we want to apply. We spray everything 15 feet tall and under (trees, shrubs, etc), including under decks, inside sheds, etc.

Crosscheck kills most other nuisance insects too (fleas, mosquitos, gnats, springtails, clover mites, spiders, etc, etc)

Hope this helps.

5. mkroher

well isn't crosscheck Lesco's talstar?

at 1.5 times the price of a lawn app, do you spray the lawn while your there too?

6. americanlawn

from midwest

I'm not sure. I think it's different cuz LESCO also sells Talstar, and they charge more for it. Without checking the labels, I'd say probably not.??

Yes we spray the lawn too. We spray everything - even under cars in the driveway. You never know where these critters hang out.

7. mkroher

I just went on the lesco website and pulled up the crosscheck label. Bifenthin. I also remember last year the sales rep at lesco saying their lesco brand "cross check" was replacing the talster. Who knows... same AI, same stuff. I myself use another "off brand", called Menace.

Do you really crank your pressure up to 400psi?

8. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

talstar one runs a bit higher than crosscheck, to my knowledge its the same thing!

lesco has changed the packaging this year, so no more built in ounce measurements

9. americanlawn

from midwest

anpeg76 -- that sucks. The "tip N pour" containers were very handy.

10. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

indeed it does, makes you wonder if it was a cost issue or not!?!?!?!