Help needed for soil calculation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RapidRide2, Apr 4, 2007.

1. RapidRide2

RapidRide2 LawnSite Member

I 'm a Newbie,,, I need to fill in where an above ground swimming pool once was and then seed. I am pretty sure a dirt hauling place could calculate this for me , however I would like to learn for myself.

The old swimming pool hole is 21' diameter and 8'' deep. Can someone give me the formula on how much dirt i will need. If possible show me how it's calculated so i can use the formula for future references???? Thanks in advance.

2. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Come on, that's a high school math question, not a landscape question. Pie x R squared x Depth. That will give you cubic ft. and divide by 27 to get cu. yds.

3. RapidRide2

RapidRide2 LawnSite Member

Thanks,, I knew piex3.14 however i didn't know to divide by 27 to get cu. yds. That's why i put it in the starting a landscaping and lawn section. I guess that's what i get for wanting to learn something.

4. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Pie means nothing unless its cherry or pecan or..um..well...okay, we won't go there, but anyway....pi IS 3.14. 'r' is radius, half the distance across the circle or in your case 10.5 feet. Approximately 22 cubic feet is needed. I'm sure you'll use every bit of a full yard (27 cubic feet) to account for settling.

Andy:)

5. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

One yard wouldn't even touch it. Try 8.5 yds. 3.14 x 10.5 x 10.5 = 346 x 2/3. = approx. 230 divided by 27 = 8.5 cubic yds.

6. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

DOH!!!:rolleyes: 'r' squared :hammerhead: Eh, what do ya want at 4am?:laugh:

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget to allow for settling, either. Not trying to be a smart alek, but the measure will be taken with raw soil, that is fluffed. You can allow about 25% for settling.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you mean 8' instead of 8" deep? If its 8' and 21' around you will need 130yds of topsoil to fill it in. In case you don't know how much that is its 170ton.

9. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the top off this page, there is a "free tool" tab. Go to the mulch and soil calculator. It works awesome.

10. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I haven't seen too many 8' deep above ground pools?????????????????