help needed!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zim bob the landscaper, Feb 13, 2006.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

were bidding on a commercial prop this is the first time, and i just wanted to know what u would charge

-mowing 30 to 45 min 11/2 acre x36
    -trimming 1 hour x36
    -edging 1 hour+
    -blowing 30 to 45 min x36
    -spring clean up 4 to 5 hours
    -fall clean up 5 to 6 hours
    -bark mulch 20 yards 4 to 5 hours
    -hedge trimming 50 bushes small 2 to 3 hours x2
    - organic fert 150lb 1 to 2 hours x2

am i forfeiting anything? what do u guys think it would cost for a full year contract?

thanks in advance

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

No offence but wait til your insured and licensed. Most businesses want to send you a 1099-misc so they can write it all off and something tells me at 13 your not ready for this. Keep working hard on the nieghbors yard and learn learn learn. Commercial is very competitive and I can promise you that you dont want to be taking work away from or pissing the big commercial guys off in your area.

Again at your age you cant go by the pricing the pro's set.

Gee and come to think at 13 I was playing nintendo and mowing the nieghbors for 7 bucks!

3. zim bob the landscaper

we are licensed and insured. my dad is placing the bid, and the place that we are placing the bid wants us to do it. we used to plow for him but we did drivways instead this year but next year we are going all commercial(for plowing). so we are gonna place the bid. i j/w what the price should be thats all.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but your dad cant even have you on the jobsite, no underage children at 13 are allowed to work, let alone run equipment on a commercial job, and if your insurance carrier found this out, they would cancel you... why dont you try and let your dad worry about these things till you get older...:)

in fact you should get your dad on lawnsite instead of you tryiing to do the adult job of bidding commercial jobs.....

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

hey zim bob. i'm 16 and i will not bid on a commercial property until i'm at least 18 and have more experience. I have an older friend who does do commercial properties and says that they are VERY demanding, and like pro-scapes said. "commercial is very competative"

6. zim bob the landscaper

yes i know but if they said it right to our faces that they want us to do it we will place a bid on it no matter what we also might get a carwash to do.

7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question for Zim Bob, and not ment to be a jerk, But why are you not in school????

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you know how long it will take, what more do you need to know.
    Don't you have an hourly rate??

Time is time-- Grass is grass-- Mowers are mowers- Work is work-- In other words the type of building sitting in the middle of the grass, or what goes on inside, has no baring on what you charge. All time is the same.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

so even though its against the law, and your insurance policy, your dad is going to take you on commercial jobs, im sorry but one of the worst things i have ever seen is a guy doing a bank lot, with his children helping him////

now something isnt right, either "we"is your dad and older brother" or "we is your dad" or "we" is you and your brother pretending to be legal....

there is no way that a legitimate business whoud hire children to do commercial work..... let alone even take there bids......\\

now im sorry if i seem negative, but i think your not letting all the truth out...after reading this, and your thread on the benifits of homeowners equipment... i am haveing serious doubts about weither you are just pretending or not......sorry, i dont intend to be hurtful, but it really seems like a load of bull......

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you seem like a very dedicated person...so if i were doing this i would add up everything individualy for the entire season.
    mowing 1.5 acres 36 times: $1800
    trimming: $1500
    Edging: $600
    blowing: $1200
    hedges: $350
    Mulch: cost of mulch + $50 per hour
    Fertilizer: cost of fert. + $50 per hour

spring clean up: $225-$275
    Fall clean up: $300

if you add all of this up (including fert. and mulch) you get a total of about $7000 divide it into 12 and the monthly payment would be about $583

now this could be WAY too high or just right. but you should modify the prices by your own hourly rates.