help needed!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zim bob the landscaper, Apr 15, 2006.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

ok i got a b&s 17.5hp engine model #31C707

im having problems with it. first it wont start untill we jump it and then it will only run on low throttle. then when we bring the throttle up it starts to choke and smoke like crazy and shut down i think its the carburtor but not sure we pulled out the flaot and needle valve and cleand it with carb cleaner it ran smoth for 1 minute and then went back to doing the same thing. any help would be awsome.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

The CARB souds like the coulprit for the problem with choke thing, but if it won't start unless you jump it, then there is a battery problem too. unless you and you father are mechanical, have a repair shop look at it. the one that is closest to you is:
    SCHOFIELD POWER EQUIPMENT INC
    LEOMINSTER, MA
    even if you are mechanical, have the service senter do a routine tune up, i have mine tuned up every so often.

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Does this engine have a solenoid on the carburetor bowl? I wonder if the eletrical and fuel problem might tie into this part?

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was jsut about to post a revison to my post with something like this. i began thinking about a fuel pump, but i don't know these types of engines. restrorob would be better suited for this than I

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try replacing the float in the carburator.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I didn't see a fuel pump listed for this engine but that doesn't mean the equipment manufacturer didn't add one. This engine is shown with and without a fuel cut-off solenoid on the bowl of the carb., If you do have one I feel if you repair your start problem you will solve your run problem. You must have good battery voltage to the solenoid for it to open and let fuel enter the high speed circuit. Say a bad battery with a blown strap will let you jump it off but a couple minutes after the jumper cables are disconnected the bad battery doesn't feed enough voltage to the solenoid thus killing the engine.

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

also sometime the gas just doesnt stop flowing and we have to clamp the fuel hose?

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do a complete tear-down cleaning and replace the float needle valve to stop the flooding.

9. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

when you get the carb fixed an you still have trouble starting it. like when you turn the keyswitch and the engine barley turns over you might consider a valve adjustment. most of the OHV engines today that have trouble starting is because the valve clearance must be about .004 in order for the compression release to work properly.

Mike AKA Partsangel