Help Needed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Chadman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Chadman

Chadman LawnSite Member

I am going to price a lot for mowing and possibly Fertilization and weed control, and yes I am legally licensed. Was wondering if I get the mowing should I go with a cheaper price on the weed control since I am already there. Further note I will have all the stuff I need to treat each time I mow. If I offer a discount How much, I was thinking maybe 20% off the regular price.

Chad

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

why not charge full price and make some money.

I dont discount anything.
    -no free cuts-
    -no signed contract discount-
    -no cleanup discount-
    -no pre pay discount-

My price is my price. If I dont get it you don't get me. I'm not cheap, but I'm not the most expensive, Just reliable

3. Chadman

Chadman LawnSite Member

Ok, I left one thing out. One of the local big wig companies is suppose to start doing it. I told her I would try to beat there price if I could. She has not signed a contract with them so she can still cancel with them. So that is why I am thinking of a discount. Tru- Green is the company that I am going to be competing with.

4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

As soon as T.G. finds out that your bidding on it they will undercut you to the point that no one will make $$ of the job. Thats how they get their foot in the door. Just remember one thing, if you get in a bidding war with T.G. don't bid so low just to get the job, this customer will bounce back and forth with you and T.G. to get the cheapest lowest price possible. You need to get compensated for what you think the job is worth and make $$$ not create a headache. Good luck!

PS..T.G. has $$$ to piss away, if they go backwards on a job they'll make up for it some other way.

5. Chadman

Chadman LawnSite Member

Met with lady, she said she decided to stay with tru-green, because she already had decided to go with them. Got the yard to mow and possibly her daughters yard to mow and treat. Daughter has nothing for weed control right now. Thanks for all the answers.

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

In the future, sell yourself as a 1 stop shop 1 company for everything
    1. I company mow and feed. TG can't offer that
    2.Personal relationship TG can't offer that.
    3. You can resolve an issue w/ the lawn quicker than TG, because you will be there once a week. TG can't offer that.
    You have many advantages over the Big companies, you just have to sell them. This season i picked up 10 TG accounts and 3 Lawn Dr. accounts.
    -Jay

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

When I used to do landscape maintenance I only maintained yards where I did all of the maintenance: mowing, irrigation, lawn apps, pruning. I would price the fertilizer / pesticide apps as if that was the only job I was doing on the property. Then I would deduct the travel time factor since I would be on site every week for the mowing.

8. Chadman

Chadman LawnSite Member

Great Post. I need to work on the selling features of the Business. Thanks again for all the help.