1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sanjeevh, Apr 27, 2008.

1. sanjeevh

sanjeevh LawnSite Member

I live in central NJ. Please take a look at pictures of my lawn. I want to see nice green lawn. I was told that I need to work on getting rid of weeds during this summer and seed it in fall.

This is just a 2 year old lawn. I don't thin it was originally seeded.

I applied " Scotts® Turf Builder® With Halts® Crabgrass Preventer" two weeks ago. Planning to apply " Scotts® Turf Builder® With PLUS 2® Weed Control" after a month.

Let me know if i need to do anything different.

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like it has never been fertilized since it was seeded. That is a far worse problem than weeds in the lawn. As long as you're getting occasional rain and the grass is growing make a 3rd application of Turf Builder in early July. Don't get your hopes up too high that Turf Builder with weed control will do much to get rid of your existing weeds. Liquid herbicides are the best way to control weeds.

After several fertilizer applications the lawn will probably thicken up enough that you won't have to do any seeding in the early fall. Core aerification is always beneficial. You could do that in late September / early October. If there are any thin areas scatter seed in those spots prior to aerifying.