Help new business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by weedwackyrizzz, Nov 1, 2005.

1. weedwackyrizzz

weedwackyrizzz LawnSite Member

I have just moved here to Lancaster PA from LI New York and would like to start a landscapeing business. I would like to start off small and easy like 25-35 customers and just cut and maintain lawns. I would like to start of with all new equipment. First for this area what are the best machines to use, and how do I go about priceing lawns. Also where do I go to shop for these equipment? I have good experience in landscapeing since I ran a business years ago and been doing it on and off for some time now. I would like to know what some of you think of Lesco products and machines? Thank you all for your input and extra info that I could use.

Frank.

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

surf around this site. All those questions you just asked have been answered many times over.

3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Frank,

You weren't real specific with your questions so it may be tougher for some of the guys to answer your questions. If you tell us how big the properties are that you intend to cut you'll probably have a better response.

As far as the pricing goes you have to feel your way around situations. When you're cutting lawns daily or doing landscaping projects you start to get an idea for the kind of time it takes to do a job. Often most guys will use their hourly rate (usually $30+ hour) and multiply it by the man-hours.

I personally know nothing about Lesco products, but I have seen many reviews of their products around the site, if you type Lesco into the search feature (located on the green header) you'll find lots of info.

One piece of advice. A name on a product will affect you because of its advertising or because you've heard opinions about it. Regardless, try not to let that influence you. Try out different machines, demo anything you can to see what will work best for you. For example, my employees don't like using our Honda Trimmers and prefer to use either Stihl's or Husqvarna's that we have since the Honda is one very heavy trimmer, but I love it because of its endless power.

As far as shopping for equipment you may be on your own unless someone knows your area. Don't be afraid to check out Home Depot or Sears or wherever. Like I said, a name is only a name. Some of our best and most reliable equipment in the past were from company's that most on this site would laugh at.

Anyway, if you give us some more details I'm sure someone can offer up some more advice.

4. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Frank,

You weren't real specific with your questions so it may be tougher for some of the guys to answer your questions. If you tell us how big the properties are that you intend to cut you'll probably have a better response.

As far as the pricing goes you have to feel your way around situations. When you're cutting lawns daily or doing landscaping projects you start to get an idea for the kind of time it takes to do a job. Often most guys will use their hourly rate (usually $30+ hour) and multiply it by the man-hours.

I personally know nothing about Lesco products, but I have seen many reviews of their products around the site, if you type Lesco into the search feature (located on the green header) you'll find lots of info.

One piece of advice. A name on a product will affect you because of its advertising or because you've heard opinions about it. Regardless, try not to let that influence you. Try out different machines, demo anything you can to see what will work best for you. For example, my employees don't like using our Honda Trimmers and prefer to use either Stihl's or Husqvarna's that we have since the Honda is one very heavy trimmer, but I love it because of its endless power.

As far as shopping for equipment you may be on your own unless someone knows your area. Don't be afraid to check out Home Depot or Sears or wherever. Like I said, a name is only a name. Some of our best and most reliable equipment in the past were from company's that most on this site would laugh at.

Anyway, if you give us some more details I'm sure someone can offer up some more advice.