Help!! New Tanaka Hedge Trimmer Won't Start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dothelawn, Aug 30, 2003.

1. dothelawn

dothelawn LawnSite Member

Hi folks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a nearly new Tanaka THT-2120 that I've used twice. Started and ran fine those times.

Last use was about 5-6 weeks ago. Went to use it today and wouldn't start. Using the same fuel mix as in my Stihl trimmer and blower. Stihl 2-cycle oil w/ stabilizer.

Pulled, cleaned and regapped the plug, wasn't very dirty from such limited use.

Darn thing won't start for nothing. Cranked it over and over and over.

Any ideas????

Thank you.

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Take it back. I'm sure it's still under warranty. If it's giving you this much trouble now I can only speculate what it'll be like a year from now.

3. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't even try to figure out whats wrong with it. Take it back.

4. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I had one ran great, got 4 years use out of it. Check to make sure you have spark, but my guess would be muffler is some how clogged

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the carb is dry? Mabey fule blockage. I'd say its fule flow realated at a guess.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the off switch flipped to the run position?

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

If you didn't flood it, you may have a coil failure.

Last year I bought two new Kawasaki trimmers and one never would start. It had a faulty coil and it had to be replaced under warranty.

8. dothelawn

dothelawn LawnSite Member

I'm thinking it's either electrical or fuel flow. Fuel seems to be moving when I depress the bulb, but I didn't see a spark when I pulled the plug cover and cranked it.

I should've bought a Stihl HS-80 and had all Stihl stuff. I'll probably get this $300 piece of crap fixed then sell it. Shouldn't by equipment over the net. My bad.

Thanks for your responses.

dothelawn

9. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I spray wd40 in the air cleaner, it is kind of like ether for small engines. if it will start it is likely a fuel problem, if not ignition. you can also dump gas in the muffler of some chainsaws and 2cyl and get them to start.

Dont understand that but it works?

10. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have a new Stihl backpack blower that wouldn't start for anything. Took it to the dealer and he said it had been flooded and that damaged the plug. Replaced the plug and air filter and it works great.