1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP New to business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by island_rob, Jul 18, 2006.

1. island_rob

island_rob LawnSite Member

Hey, Can someone help me? I wanted to know which is a better route to go.
    A 36 stander or 36 scag z-cat for a couple hundred more with electric start and height adjustment , and I am sitting down. Maybe I just sold myself, but I can still use some advice. I am just getting into business.
  2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

If you would like to sit then get the z-cat. But if standing isn't a problem with you then get the stander. Personally I think standing is funner and, it semes i I have better visibilty standing.
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick 36 Samurai baby...if you want a walker
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest that you purchase the best mower with in your budget .... me personally .... I get the sit down model .... the long hot days can take a toll

Something with an out-front deck will cut down on the trimming

What ever you get ....make sure it has easy deck adjust ....Hydro .... belts suck .... the St. Aug can get crazy .... Mulching is gonna be best beach side .... lots of beds not too blow into ....n when it's really growing it'll cut down in blowing the hard surfaces

Ya get' n new stuff ?? .... A1A mowers will set you straight
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We was faced with same problem last spring and we went with Wright Sentar Sport that has a seat or you can stand. It has starter and height adjustment. The advantage is a lower profile unit that is lighter and smaller profile than the Scag. We are Scag guys and I know the Scag will last longer but it is simply too big for small residential yards. We tried using our 48" Scag on some front yards and got complaints immediately even though it definitely was giving a better cut than our 36" WB units. We like our Sentar but it does need level ground to give a perfect cut.
  6. island_rob

Hey thanks I was looking at the Scag z-cat at Bruces Mower . I like the idea of sitting down for the the money spent. Thanks
  7. island_rob

Yeah I think the z-cat might be for the same money.
  8. DiMassa33

DiMassa33 LawnSite Member

I would go with the rider, Im a big fan of riders and those summer days can get bad
  9. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

I would definitely go with the Scag Z-cat.... For the money you spend it will repay itself in the end.:)
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Wright Sentar Sport has a seat so you can stand or sit. The Sentar weighs a lot less than the Scag and takes up far less room in a trailer. In our area(which is Scag country) the Sentar is the hottest selling unit, hardly ever see a Scag 36" rider. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Scag we have several but we wanted a lower profile unit for picky customers on these small yards.