1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help: New to Sod, many questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newcompanycommingsoon, Sep 20, 2006.

1. newcompanycommingsoon

newcompanycommingsoon LawnSite Member

I'm new to the sod industry and have many questions, since i can't get any answers over the phone from companies in my area.
    Just woundering if anyone can help me with:
    prices on different sod, prices on pallets, price per. sq. ft., price for laying sod, wholesale prices in the area. How many sq. ft. a pallet covers, names of distributors in the area and how much they charge. :confused:
    Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!
    Thank You.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you calling sod companies lawn companies or garden shops? I find it hard to beleive that none of them will tell you what kind of sod they have and the prices of them. Every state and towns are diff. What prices you get from someone in California isnt going to be the same as your area.
    Sod down here covers 400-500 sq ft. May be diff in your area. Price for labor ive seen anywhere from $.50 a square to $1 a square.

Google or yellow page you area for sod companies and make somemore calls.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Is there a John Deere landscape place or other wholesaler in your area-- they will tell you cost, coverage per pallet.
    You need to know your work rate to figure price for installation, and your overhead
    Are you planning to go into this business only or is this just an add on after the septic work is done, Do a lot of research as to the cost of doing this for your tank customers as it may not be profitable in that small area.
  4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone tell me how to be a brain surgen? What to cut what not to cut, how much can I make. Where can I cut on people at?????????:dizzy:

Get some experiance before you dive into something with out a clue.