1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help New to the industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by david189, Jan 21, 2002.

1. david189

david189 LawnSite Member

Hello my name is David. I am 20 and new to the lawncare industry. I am planning on starting a commercial lawncare business and I need help. I would like to know about quoting for commercial accounts. What is too much and what is underquoting? Also, what things need to be in the service agreement? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is any pertainent info that I must know about the business, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Thank you,
    David Patton
  2. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

David, you can run a search on your question concerning contracts as there have been many discussions here on that topic. As far as general info about the business you really have to learn it first hand. You cant learn how to start a difficult small engine or put that arrow stright edge on a bed through discussion or reading. If you haven't worked in the industry before I strongly recommend you do so before you go out on your own. Look at it as valuable training learned at someone else's expense. If you already have worked in the business then you should try to start small and maybe not even worry about commercial work your first year. Many of us who have been around a long time get burned from time to time on commercial work, so you have to be very careful. Anyway, best of luck to you.
  3. david189

david189 LawnSite Member

thats what I thought, trial and error will have to do. I believe that the commercia accounts will be ok because one is my church and another is a law office that is my fiance's grandfathers. So if I can get two or three more then I will be set. I have another job with my future father in law doing construction landscaping, this lawn care will hopefully be a division of his company. Anyways, thanks for the reply.

4. David

Good luck i hope you do real good;)
  5. david189

david189 LawnSite Member

thank for your support odin00. I need all that I can get. I am now looking for equipment. I think I m going Echo for the weedeater, edger, blower, and trimmer. and eXmark Turf tracer walk behind for the mower. Hopefully this will be a good combination. Provided the operator(me) is any good.
  6. David

I can tell ya, you are on the right track with the exmark its a good machine and a good companey
  7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

You will learn all you can stand to w/ the search feature - (as you've already been told)

My "Quick" advise though is:

Buy the absolute best equipment you can. Finance it if you must, but I am convinced that I would NOT have stuck it out on the "HOTTER than HELL, everything went wrong days" without the benefit of the best equipment in the industry. (for me it was Toro and Stihl) After 2 years, my only change is from Toro to eXmark. (Toro is still fine)

Pursue annual agreements with every customer. In the 1st 3 months of my business, I secured contracts totaling over 50k per year. This is obviously the way to have income all year. Georgia isn't that dif. from here - trust me when I say that almost ALL your Non-Contract customers will not ask you to come DEC - MAR.

Have a plan before you arrive. Manage your TIME. If you have a helper, you should be fast & productive & earning at least $60/hr.

There's much to learn, but once you do - Its simple.