1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help noobie choose between 3/hedgetrimmers.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ccarr, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ccarr

ccarr LawnSite Member
    from Mesa,AZ

Ok guys, I need help choosing an entry level model hedgetrimmer for around $300. I am looking at an Echo-HC150, Stihl HS-45 and Redmax CHT-2200 for residential work for now. I have a dealer by the house that sells Echo, Stihl and Shindaiwa equipment and another dealer not far from that one that sells Redmax, so finding a dealer is no big deal. What are your experiences with these trimmers?
  2. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Stihl for me , I have a shin M231 that one is a convertable and I have a flipdown hedge trimmer double blade it works ok but it is rather heavy .
    I have a 100 series extended fixed blade Stihl with the 4 mix engine and as far as I am concerned it's the best out there it's quiet starts 2nd pull and pretty light and it will soundly cut 1 inches branches it's a torque tool rev it up and you feel the power . Plus you only want to buy this tool once buyers remorse is a nasty tasting sandwich. It might cost a little more going in but
    you will have it for many years to come . I retired my shin. to a pole chainsaw
    attchment and use it for tree trimming. Plus another nice thing about Stihl with 2 torx screws you can interchange any working head to another unit providing you have a solid shaft if my trimmer died I can slide off the stick edger and slide on the trimmer head and I can finish the day out without a pit stop . You can even buy I think 6 different attachments to fit on the Stihl
    Chainsaw, hedger, tiller ,sweeper and a couple of more. Good luck and good hunting
    The Capt
  3. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Oh by the way I have a stihl non pole style double bladed hedger I belive it's the HC 74 I will have to look to be sure it's in really fine shape with little use I even have a new carb. for it it had a little crack in the fuel nipple I was able to fix but bought the carb as a precaution in case it failed I was fixing to put it on E bay or sell at the local dealer on consignment if someone wants it I will give a good deal.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I bought the HS-45 my first year and it runs strong today, 6 years the blades never needed sharpening, I think I may have replaced the plug and probably the air filter once or twice, it's one of my best machines.

My biggest concern was weight, everybody I know was concerned about power, but the bigger models weigh a lot more and it hurts my back after holding the thing for 30-45 minutes straight... The HS-45 isn't exactly a feather, but it sure is a lot easier to use, for me.

Granted, trimming is a side thing for me, so it only gets used but so much, just remember to always lightly spray the blades with wd-40 after each and every use, keep the blades lubed in between. Oh yeah, and I think every so often you need to pull the transmission cover off and make sure there's Stihl lube up in there, they sell the stuff in a tube and it's not cheap, but it lasts a long time between refills, maybe once / year or so per refill.

The only other thing is, never run them completely out of fuel, that's with any machine, always fill back up before you totally run out, helps prevent fouling and exhaust clogging, also keeps the piston rings from running dry as it runs out...
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

look at the shindawia home pro -hands down better than the echo 150
  6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl powerwise is usally unbeaten. echo's r under powerd from all the things i have run
  7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i just picked up the shin dh231. put about 5 hours on it so far, very nice machine. alittle heavy but nothing i cant handle. also ive filled it up twice in that 5hr period and still have 3/4 of the last tank so it has decent gas usage.
  8. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Good move you can't go wrong with the Shin. it will serve you well mine works great alltough I primarly use my m 231 with the chinsaw extension
    plenty of power for that too. I upgraded to a Stilh 100 series 4 mix on the
    hedger not cheap but totally awesome machine as well.
    I always run a capful of Seafoam fuel additive in every tank on all my 2 stroke
    it seems to make 1 st pull a reality . Enjoy it and lock it up on the trailer or someone else will be using it. Regards capt Bob
  9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys, you should lubricate your blades with Fluid Film. It won't get gummy or sticky, evaporate or burn greenery. It's an excellent application.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the lightest weight with the most powa.