Help Old Gravely!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SuperLawn, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

Which the cause could be of lost of power in 12hp Kawasaki? I have a Gravely 36 W/B
    It is about 10 years old, when the grass is a little high the motor stop, really that I wanted to be able to fix it
    Anybody!!
    Thanks
    Tony
    :help: :help:

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel delivery problem, blocked exhaust, spark issues...it could be any number of problems. Smoke, fouled plugs, what are some other issues...bad valve timing..

I would change plugs, change fuel filter and go from there. it could be a bad coil the high energy spark is fine at high RPM but once it gets put under load, the engine can maintain the RMP as it begins to miss. P

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Marc about the fuel filter and coil deficiency..or it could be a diaphragm in the carb that has gone bad.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

It could also be worn piston rings. Sometimes even replacing the belts help with power loss and slow speeds.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There's a simple fix.

Unscrew the gas cap, lift the cap up, slide the old mower out from under the cap, slide a new mower in and then replace the cap.

Really you need to do some diagnostics. The engine must have air, fuel, compression and spark. Are the filters clean? How's the compression? Have you changed the spark plug lately? Stuff like that.