1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help on a BID fella's...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Primetime-SRQ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Primetime-SRQ

Primetime-SRQ LawnSite Member

I am needing some help placing a bid on mowing around 3 lakes and 4 entry ways for this community. The size of the lakes I don't have on hand, but each property is 1 acre if that will help in deteermining the size of the lakes.

I also marked each lake with a red identifier and entry ways, except for the forth which is outside of the image map.

I was told by a friend of mine that is on the assoc. board that the current guy is getting $1200 a month. But he is flaky and not getting the job done.

So any assistance you guys may lend would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to walk it off (distance) and know what your times are (mowing, trimming, etc. ). This looks pretty big. Could be the last guy guessed at 1200. and found out it should be 1500 and is putting 1200 into it.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with NC Greenscaper, you need to go and walk the distance yourself so you don't end up undercutting yourself
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I can tell you fore a fact that they are getting a good deal .... @ $340 per cut (42 cuts per year) .... cutting those ponds is nothing .....wait tell you have to weed eat em

I cut alot of retention ponds n these HOA's can be picky .... I have till in my "statement of work"

Weed Eater: Nylon String Trimmer of tall grass, not mowed, around building perimeter, sprinkler heads, etc; careful attention around Tree & Citrus Trunks, so not to “Ring” them. Every “Other” Visit on water or ponds edges, NO Round Up Ever Used in these Areas.

This is a cost effective way to keep the price down ...they always think they are getting what ever is NOT spelled out ....so I spell it out ....if they want weedeating every visit ya have to charge em ....ya can't use RU with-in 10' of water areas .....n the brown ring looks like cr@p

Aside from that ....gotta be careful of tipping over ...more than 1 story every year envolves some cutter drowning on a retention pond edge

If ya can drive the area with your mower ....try to keep at a speed you would cut ...n figure your time n go from their ....I've done a lot of ponds ....n I'd be at like $1575 if 10hrs labor per event

One of these days I'm gonna get a Flex-i deck fore the DC n the guys won't have to weed eat those pond edges
  5. Primetime-SRQ

I'm going to be meeting with gentelman on wed. morning.. Not to be greeedy I was going to ask $1375.. I am a new starter, so I would love to get my foot in the door with the this H.O.A... I don't charge myself more than 30 bucks an hours anyhour..........

OKAY< I'm going back on the boat to get more drunk now!!!:usflag:
  6. Primetime-SRQ

Okay guys...
    I have put this BID in almost 2 months ago and they finally had a board meeting where they had 6 estimates come in.

I placed my bid at $2550 a month and I was the middle BID.. There were 2 bids that were outradeously overpriced and two that were very underpriced. The only guy that was close to me came in $300 more a month than me.

So I should be finding out if I get the bid this weekend. Plus I stressed the fact that I carry 1 million dollar coverage insurance, probably doesn't make a difference to them . But it sure does sound cool when you say "1 MILLION DOLLARS" :laugh:

So come on guys, cross you fingers for me. This will be my first BIG commercial gig.....
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well glad to see you jacked up your price. That's 637/cut at 4 cuts a month, 510/cut at 5 cuts a month which you'll run into if you do it weekly. Man, that's a lot of area to mow though. I hope you didn't under bid yourself... I guess though, if you can get it done in a 10 hour day or less, then you're doing fine.

Out of curiosity what were the "outrageously overpriced" bids?
  8. Primetime-SRQ

They came in at around $5500 a month... After to talking to the property manager one day, he mentioned that one outfit was complaining how far of a drive it is for them. They usually have a route over on LongBoat Key which is about a 45-plus minute drive for them to get out here.

I sure the hell hope I didn't underbid. I spent quite a bit of time crunching the numbers before I sent in my bid. And since my wife will be helping out occasionally, that will save me some money right there. But I didn't really figure her efforts much into the equation.

We will see.......