Help on a bid for sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pclawncare, Oct 22, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have laid sod befor for another contractor but not for my self so i am looking for a price for laying some sod for a church that i already mow. There is three islands that were flower beds in the middle of the parking lot but have recently been dug up because the church was tired of maintaining them and wanted to replace with sod. Anyway i have checked in on sod prices and it is going to be 506 dollars for 2200sqft and i figure about 150 to go get it which i am willing to do. Anyway when it was dug up they took too much soil out with it so i am going to have to bring dirt back in which shouldnt be too bad it only needs to come up about 3-4 in in most places and in some it doesnt need any at all. The church said they will charge the dirt to their accound but i can charge for delivery they also said that i can have the two janitors that are high school kids for me for free. I think that i can have the entire job in about a day so i am looking at about $500 for me so around $1200 i am figuring. I am just wondering does any of this sound out of line for a job of 2200 sq ft or is my time estimates of a day out of line?

2. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

Free labor, sounds pretty good to me. I charge about $1000 for about 250yards plus delivery and dirt.

3. pclawncare

Anyone have just a going rate per sq to lay sod

4. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

I get 3.15 per yard prep and sod ,soil not included , but Im not in a large populated area their getting alot more north of here .

5. pclawncare

What do you mean by per yard? Are you talking about a 3ft x 3ft square?

6. Bear's Total Works

Bear's Total Works LawnSite Member

$2.75 is what you should charge for the sod and the laying
    depending on how far you have to drive to get it $2.00 to $8.00 a mile
    doulbe the price for every thing to get the total amount for the job

7. pclawncare

2.75 per sq ft?

8. pclawncare

Anyone help? is 2.75 per sq ft?

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

provide a list of expenses for the job, your operating costs for that day, amount of time required on the job, and we can provide a guestimate on what YOU should charge for sod.

10. jkl45lc

jkl45lc LawnSite Member

you will need about 5 pallets of sod at 450 sqft per pallet. i would want at least 1500.00 to provide sod and lay it. if ground work is needed you can add this by the hr. job should take less than a day w/ good helpers.