help on a flatbed truck!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HartselleLawnEnforcement, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HartselleLawnEnforcement

HartselleLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

Here's the story - my neighbor has a 1993 f-350 dually with a flatbed that dumps... only problem is that the engine head is cracked. He just GAVE me the truck, so no money lost if the truck isn't salvageable.. It's only got 145,000 miles on it, but anyway, he says the truck will only run 40 miles before it gets overheated, and it also smokes pretty bad... I'm sure I'm forgetting something too... :laugh:

So to my question...

Is the truck worth the time and money to fix or should I just pass?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Find a salvage yard engine or have the one in the truck rebuilt. The only downfall is that that engine sucks up the fuel. If anything else the bed and dump is worth something.

3. HartselleLawnEnforcement

Yeah, I've read that about the fuel. The truck won't be used much at all - if anything - just mulch and such.. so not a daily driver, but nice to have for free! Only problem is that I haven't learned a stick-shift... woops!

Do you know a price range on the salvage yard engine? Doesn't have to be exact, just so I know what I'm dealing with.. The neighbor actually works with engines, so installation is no big deal...

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe less than $600 and this would be great for mulch and soil delivery. I would say you could get the engine fixed or replaced, cosmetic body work done, minor mechanical problems and cheap paint for less than $2,000 to have a great work truck.

5. HartselleLawnEnforcement

Nice. Right in my budget on the engine.

Cosmetically, the truck is in quite good shape, but it could use a coat of paint on everything. I'll upload a pic tomorrow when I get it cleaned up - I'm still afraid to stick my hand under stuff... not sure what I'll find :laugh:

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i just had a head rebuilt at alabama cylinder head. $200.00 and it came out like new. they are on the internet. good luck.

7. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

which engine is in the truck ,gas or diesel ? you can have a gas engine out of that truck in about a half hour ,so pretty easy to swap in a junkyard gasser,the diesel takes longer ,but those non powerstroke 7.3's are very trouble free and last a very very long time .

8. HartselleLawnEnforcement

Diesel.

need to take this thing somewhere open and learn the stick-shift. I just can't get the hang of it. hahaha.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Got any pics of it?

10. HartselleLawnEnforcement

yeah, let me put them up real quick.