1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help on a hill

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hage1, Jul 30, 2004.

1. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

My front yard is about 3/4 of an acre. I have two pine trees, an oak and cherry tree to get around. It is relatively flat at the top, but soon slopes downward at a 15 degree angle. There is no flat space at the bottom. My Toro 16HP dual cylinder tractor would spin a wheel at the bottom of the hill even on gentle turns. I added wheel weights, but still chew up the yard at the bottom if the yard is even slightly moist (which it often is). I got a 97 16HP single cylinder Walker MCGHS. It chews up the yard at the bottom of the hill, and seems to struggle trying to make it back up. (I admit I need more practice with this thing) What would you pros use for this situation? I love working in the yard so "call your local lawn service to do it!" is not a good answer. Opinions much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. fouracres

fouracres LawnSite Member

I saw a fellow yesterday mowing with a 70's vintage Bolens tractor with chains on the drive wheels. His yard had a short, steep slope. This might help.
  3. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

I'm going to try using the Walker and going across rather than up and down. It doesn't seem nearly as scary as on the Toro.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

That would be my approach.
  5. If the purchase of another machine is an option -
    It sounds like a situation that a hydro-drive w/b could handle most easily.

Otherwise, IMO it is best to mow across hills if at all possible.
  6. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a hill on my property that my old. pos tractor couldnt handle. That pos died and I bought a simplicity with ACT (traction control) and I have no problem with hills. So, as pwarren4 said, if buying is an option, check it out.