1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help on a One Man Show

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, Mar 21, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I"m a one man operation. I have approx. 45 accounts (mostly residential and most averaging 7,000 sq. ft.)

I use a 21" lawnboy commercial duty and a 36" exmark wb. I'm thinking about trading in the 36" wb and buy a 44" lazer or 44" toro z master.

Does anyone run a one man operation with a lazer and without a wb? Are there any disadvantages other than not fitting through 36" gates?

Also, I can get a new exmark 44" for 6,175 and I can get a toro z master for 5,750 44"; I know they are the same mower except decks. What deck "mows and blows" best?

Thanx everyone.

PIONEER LawnSite Member

keep the 36 and get a 52in get the hidro it's well worth the extra money. demo one first
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto ....keep the 36" (would the $ from sale really help or having a 2nd fair sized back up mower & can cut smaller area's quickly give better peace of mind) and try to get an up grade mower like your looking at
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm solo and run an Exmark 48" hydro w/b as my main machine and an Exmark 36" hydro w/b as my backup, but everytime I visit my dealer for something I have to walk past the new dixies and lazers. Maybe some day, I'm not getting any younger. LOL
  5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We bought our Bob-Cat ZTR for under $6000 (it was end of season). 48" cut, 19 HP Kawasaki, dual hydro pumps w/hydro oil cooler. Keep the 36, you really need to have a backup. Right now, we're trying to get something to work as a backup.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My dealer sells both too. You won't believe how much more engergy you would have at the end of the day riding either one of them. When you get as old as me, you will need all the energy you can get. ;)
  7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

1 Man op here too.

Keep the 36"!

I have a 48" exmark. My "back up" is a 21" crapsman.
    I'm putting off the ztr for another year.

8. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx guys, but I was really hoping someone would tell me to ditch the 36" and go solo w/zrt.

Thanx again.
  9. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also a one man show. I don't have as many accounts as you. I started with a 21" Toro Pro-Line. Last year I bought a used Walker w/ 54" SD deck. I use it on 98% of my lawns. I"m not getting any younger so I decided to get a rider instead of a larger WB. I would trade in the 36" on a rider, but I don't have any gated lawns that I service either.

Good Luck,
  10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

One man operation also. I have 2 52"walkbehinds,two commercial trim mowers, and a Toro Z-Master 62deck Ive been doing this for 10yrs and have found that bigger is better. I don't have but one 36" gate,but have to use the trim mowers sometimes on the sides of yds where its maybe just 2foot. Plus i do a yd for a special client with a 21" proline, where good friends he is very rich and pays me very well thats the only reason i do it with the 21. Marks Mowing Service