Help on backpackblowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkingforever, Jan 23, 2008.

1. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I just ordered a Stihl FS 100 RX trimmer from local dealer and wanted to get a Stihl backpack blower too but did not realize the cost, the low end ones run 300-400$. For a part-timer with 20-25 accounts, would buying a used commercial one or new Husquavarna high end res. unit(179$) hold up for clearing driveways and walkways and the occaisional leaf cleanup. Or should I drop the 4 bills on the Stihl. Thanks for any input.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i bought 2 husquavana from a dealer that was going out of biz. they were the 145's just a high end res. after four years they still get used every day. i just bought a new stihl this fall for leaves. for just starting out i think you will be fine with the husq.

TNT MOWING LawnSite Member

I just bought the Br550 and i see it as a long term investment. If you are in it the long haul then just put the money down and get a high quality equipment. Dont buy somthing lower end just to turn around a few years later to buy a Br550 or somthing else.

Also you are looking at four bills and a quarter
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you aren't planning on expanding what about a commercial hand held Stihl blower?
  5. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

If your not going to be using the blower for many clean-ups then you can get a smaller less expensive commercial blower for sidewalks and driveways, then as your business grows and you have the need for a large blower you can buy it then. You will always have the smaller blower that will come in handy anytime. I use my echo 260 backpack all summer for driveways and sidewalks(better on gas to!!). You can always find a use for a blower just be sure you get a decent quality one!!
  6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Those Husqvarna's have Kawisaki engines on them. They are the best. It will run FOREVER.
  7. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Just spend the money - $499 on the best from Red Max. These babies blow 1000+ air volume. I got to try all the most high powered backpacks at the GEI show in Louisville - Echo and Kawasaki were also both very good but when I tried the Red Max it literally almost blew off my back - you literally need to lean into it. I bought one and went back and bought another. It will even blow snow and i made about $2000 blowing leaves so they have already paid for them selves. i also bought a billy goat lawn vac that is awesome. i blow the leaves into the street hammer them with my Wright 52 Stander and suck them up with the Billy. 2 guys can do a 5000 sq ft yard in about an hour bagged and everything! the leaves are so mulched you can use them as mulch. I sold several trailers full and made another $200 selling other peoples leaves. Red, Billy and Wright what a team.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Buy echo or redmax for blowers. I haven't owned a stihl and won't be either.
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Be careful to make sure if these numbers are with or without the tube on. Companies will deceive you in their marketing. The Redmax's numbers are without the tube. In Turf Magazine a few months back it listed the Redmax 8001 at 685cfm with the tube and a upper 900 number without the tube.

Stihl's BR600 is 712cfm with the tube, but 2 mph slower air speed than the 8001.
  10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The $179 Husky is not "high end" if you are buying a backpac blower then DO NOT buy one that has less than a 40-45cc engine. Anything less is a waste for a backpac, may as well get a nice handheld.