1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help on bid ASAP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slimart01, Sep 22, 2007.

1. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

128 Berkeley Cir..JPG

Thats the property. Here's the deal.

Me= 20 yrs. old, Solo, Commercial 0 turn, not booked, fairly new/still establishing a rep., primarily residential.

Them= Manufacturing facility, want property mowed once a month, (primarily weeds and highway grass) and weedeated nothing else, off the main road so not picky. no property to be damaged by me and no customers/employees outside building ever.(liablity)

I was mowing and trimming the upper left building for 150 per visit (twice per month) the company that was renting it has relocated and the owners of the entire area have asked me for a quote. The previous renters have already given there recommendation of me and the company has already been given quotes by some local companies so I am ready to make a bid but don't want to mess this opportunity up.

I am mainly looking for numbers based on the above stats. Thanks for your assitance.

128 Berkeley Cir..JPG
  2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

You are going to hate life trying to mow bahia once a month with a mower.
  3. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Amen to that!
  4. KTO Enterprises

The longest i have done is 3 weeks and they have to just expect that the clippings will not go away. it will pile
  5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it once a month, too much wear on your equipment. Bahia grows way to fast for that. Or.. you could charge them extra
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommed to them at least twice a month in the growing season. In FL I dont see alot of bahia, listen to KTO & Jbannick. Take the time it takes you to mow the current and try to figure your rate from that. Remember its better to be higher than lower. If you dont get it dont look at it as a failure everything at this point is a learning experience. Learn from it. Experience tells me your either going to be higher or lower than the market price( it really depends on your experience). You didnt give us enough info to help you. Quality and type of mower, actual size, etc.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mess with no commercials as a solo unless it's owner-operated.
    Owner-operator = 1, maybe a couple (as in married)

What ownersss, how many are there?
    It's not the work, it's I don't got the resources to deal with these folks.

You're right, RUN!

Oh so THAT is what bahia is, weeds and highway grass?!
    I always wondered what you guys meant by that, I call it horse pasture.
    Learn something new every day.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Once a month, nope, would not even touch it. It will be bad on you and your equipment and like above said you will quickly start hating this one. Someone who wants it done once a month is just looking for cheap and will have zero loyalty.
  9. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Wow, thanks alot everyone. The grass is not dense, the bahiagrass does not grow fast there, its a low quality soil. there are low expectations, so clippings, scalping, and missing grass here and there are not issues, wear and tear will be minimal trust me. I should have know this was the wrong place to ask for Monetary advice.

The last sentence I wrote stated that I was looking for numbers based on the given info. not opinions on why or why not you would do it or not.

ie. 100 dollars, $500, 65 million turkish yen, all exeptable answers.
  10. KTO Enterprises

For one its hard to tell from a tiny picture how much area the place is.

Just a guess for a once a month cut, i would want just about 2 times what i would normally charge per cut. Your not in business to save a tightwad money.

My guess would be around 800 per cut.