Help on bid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TurfConcepts Inc, Jun 2, 2006.

1. TurfConcepts Inc

TurfConcepts Inc LawnSite Member

First let me say Thanks to eveybody. I don't log on here much but I read the posts daily. The thoughts and ideas have been a big help.

Now my question, I have a commercial property (condos) that have asked my to do some rock mulch work. What they have is 13 empty planters that they want filled with 2" river rock. The planters are at the inside end of the carports and just gather debris. Nothing grows there because of the shade from the roof. Anyway, each planter is 10' X 3' and they want the rock 1.5-2" deep. They also want the mulch bought in bags so that any extra can be easily stored until needed. I checked Lowe's and Home Depot and my cost will be $3-4 per .5 cubic feet bag.

I'm not sure how to bill this. The area (per planter) is 30sq.ft. at 2" deep it requires 0.2 cubic yards. The bags are .5 cubic feet, therefore I need 11-12 bags per planter. That's about $50 per planter in rock. How should I charge my labor?

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever the market can bear. :weightlifter:

You alone know how long it will take you along with what YOU consider a fair and reasonable profit. I would figure in the grunt work at a premium as I need to consider the evening after the job how my back will feel. At 52 I try to work smarter than I did at 22 or for that matter at 51.:laugh:

Charge for the effort, pain and add a little for satisfaction guaranteed!