1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help on bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ground Effects, Mar 28, 2000.

1. Ground Effects

Ground Effects LawnSite Member

Need some help here - still learning (aren't we all). Having troubles with bidding a township cemetary. They would like 3 seperate bids constructed. 1)MOWING ONLY 2)mowing/trimming 3)mowing/spraying (herbicide around stones:) ) <br> They want the grass to be cut when it reaches the height of 2&quot;. So the question is - how do I figure a bid SAFELY keeping in mind we have a good growing season! Don't know whether I should figure mowing once per week or quote an hourly charge to be safe.<br> P.S. This must where the headache comes in!
  2. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

We have a few Memorial Garden accounts that we serve here in Tennessee. The way we bidded them was $65 per acre per mow. We mow them once every ten days depending on rain (of course.)
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a cemetary here in Ontario. We cut it every two weeks and trim it every other time. We use a Walker with the collection system so we don't have to blow off stones. They won't allow us to spray or fert there, so the grass grows slow. It is about 2 1/2 acres and takes around 3 1/2 hr to cut and about 2 hr to trim. We bid it at around Can$55 per acre because it is a very visible property and close to us. Good for business.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

how do you get away with trimmmign one a month? i trim all my properties and edge every time i cut. a yard untrimmed looks like crap!
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I do what the customers want, and pay for. They don't care if it is trimmed or not. We were the first company to even trim it. If they paid for trimming every time I would do it. I don't preform the funeral service either.