Help on Bidding?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by E E M, Mar 11, 2008.

1. E E M

E E M LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me a little help on bidding. Here is my situation. I have been in business for less than a year. I have primarily been mowing residentials that either pay by the week or by the month. I have received an invitation to bid on a job for the season that consists of cutting, trimming, fertilization and fall leaf clean-up for a multi-unit condominium. I very badly want to bid this job as i know it is exactly the kind of thing i want to do. But I have never bid on a job like this. I have only done estimates on a per week basis. and never a full season, or fertilization. What is the best way to approach this estimate to actually be competitive? How are jobs like this paid? I don't know how to bid on fertilization or fall clean-up when i have never seen the property with leaves on the ground! lol- I know that sounds odd, but it is just something i have yet to come across. thanks for reading- Ed:usflag:

2. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

You know how to figure the grass cutting. Figure the fertilization on the same scale as the grass cutting deppending on how many times they want it done. It really takes no time to fertilize. Guesstimate how long it will take you to get the leaves up. That would depend on your equipment and doing it at least weekly. Then figure how many weeks you will be servicing and divide the total dollar by that number of weeks.

3. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

It would also be nice to give them a proposal on snow removal.

4. E E M

E E M LawnSite Member

thanks, that was a great idea- and i will do just that on Friday when i meet with the prospective client.