Help on choosing a walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnNeedz, Jan 16, 2007.

1. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market to purchase a walk behind mower. I am currently looking at a Lesco 54' floating deck 17 hp (i think) that has 15 hrs on it or a Toro Proline 44' 15 hp with 100hrs. Both mowers are about the same price and they are privately owned. Which mower would be the best purchase?

Thanks in advance.

2. LawnNeedz

help anyone?

3. LawnNeedz

bump...........

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Just a word of advice, I'm prety sure the Lesco 54" floating decks are no longer in production. I remember reading a thread about that on LS a little while back. I would go with the Toro over the Lesco. What other dealers are in your area and how large are the properties you will be doing?

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I have to agree, go with the Toro its built much heavier than Lesco and will last longer with less problems. The smaller deck on the Toro will get you into more places and will be easier to use overall.

6. LawnNeedz

Would I not get a better cut out of the floating deck?

7. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the lesco. It will cut better and if you need parts it is the exact same thing as a cub cadet. Plus it only has 15 hrs

8. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Go with the proline t bar 44"- You will love it!

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You should be fine with the fixed deck. 100 hours on it is nothing at all! Tha T-bar drive is also really nice.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

At least as of a few years ago, the Toro 44" came as a float deck only.
    The only fixed decks as of 2004 were the 36" and the 48", the 44" was always a float deck, as was the 52" (now this may have changed, or perhaps you're actually looking at a 48"?).

Even then, the 44 *or* the 48" will get into a lot more gated areas (the 48" is the biggest deck that will still fit through most single gates, provided the gate is 4 feet wide... Nothing above a 48" will ever fit through a single gate, unless it's a rare extra large gate).

As for me, since I'll never buy a Wb that isn't controlled by a T-bar, Toro is the obvious choice.