Help on choosing Stihl, Shindaiwa, Honda and Makita 4 cycle trimmer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I really have a hard time choosing a trimmer. I want to find something quiet. I am looking at Stihl FS110, FS130, Shindaiwa T3410, Honda HHT35 and Makita 4 cycle. Any experience on mainly their reliability will be important. Is it true Honda and Makita being separate oil have problem running in upside down position?

Any good 2 cycle that is quiet and is reliable? Shindaiwa T272, T261, Echo 260, Husqvarana 326? I live in California, so I can only get certain models.

Thanks

2. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have two fs 110 that i really like. lots of power and quiet.

3. yungman

from Calif.

Thanks for your reply. How long have you have them and how much you use them?

4. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have used them all season long. they are used all day 6 days a week. i also use the attatchments that go with them....clay

5. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the Huskvarina trimmer. It uses the Honda engine but has a better shaft/trim head/ handle and throttle trigger. I have had the Hondas for 4+ years and picked up the Husky trimmer last year and will replace the hondas will huskies when the time comes.

6. yungman

from Calif.

Thanks Clay for the info. I am narrowing down now, either Stihl or Honda or Husky with Honda engine.
    Thanks

Hi Jsaunders
    You are refering to the 324Dx multi tool attachment motor unit? On the Honda engine, Do you have problem with using in different position, I read someone claim that the motor loose power when inverted.
    Do you have the HHT35 35cc big Honda trimmer also, if so, how is it? You think Husqvarna going to last longer?
    Thanks

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

We have Stihl & Echo trimmers. the echo's havent left the garage all year long. stihls are very powerful,easy to start. only thing is, the echos are a lot lighter.

8. yungman

from Calif.

Hi Raven 386
    What kind of Stihl do you use and how long have you been using them?
    Thanks

9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we have a 110R- was a trimmer, turned it into a articulating hedge trimmer. and the new one is the Kombi system one. had the 110 for a while now, maybe 2-3 seasons? i cant remember...the kombi is newer. no problems (knock on wood) with either.

10. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Give a hard look at Kawasakis, they're pretty quiet.