Help On Cleanup bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harvestman, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I'm trying to bid a cleanup on a high end res. property,and would like some oppinions to see if i'm on base or not.It has 2500 sq ft of beds. I figured 11yrds of mulch (at 1 1/2inch appl. cust req.)I pay $20 and would install it for $56 totaling $616.00 About half of these beds have ground cover that will require lots of trimming and cleaning out of debris I was thinking 2 men at eight hrs $400. He also wants me to use weed control (snapshot) on those beds plus another 10,000 sg ft of wooded area that would just require putting down the appl. $64.00 for material $36.to apply. For a Grand total 0f $1,116.00 + tax.This is also a difficult site(hilly) all the mulch will have to be wheeled in from curb.He also said he would like me to come back every two weeks to weed prune and tidy up at an additional charge. Couldn't sell him on the lawn but i'm trying. I would really like to get this job so any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you have to use wheelbarrows to distribute the mulch and its on a grade I would at least double if not triple the charge for mulch depending on the conditons(how far from mulch to beds etc.) and gradient.

I would also say the same thing about the clean-up of the beds. I would double that figures as well.

Dont forget that you can always tell the customer that you will pro-rate his bill if it doesnt take as long as you have anticipated.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

3. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Wow That sounds kind of high I'd love it if i could get that much. I wonder if new york gets higher prices than southern ohio any body out there from my area Thanks

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Alright at least make sure that you are making a profit.

If you buy your product for $20/yd you should at least have a 50% mark-up of product to $30/yd which I dont think anyone will say is unreasonable. The nurseries and mulch dealers in our area vary from $30-45/yd depending on type in question.

With this in mind I would then calculate what you will need.
    2500/sf x 1.5in depth = 11.57/yds (12 yards for bidding)
    12/yds x $65/yd ($20 cost+$10mark-up+$36labor) = $780

I would then multiply the 780 x 1.5 because you are dealing with some steep gradients and you should not be charging the same for this installation as you would for flat work.
    So I would charge them $1170 for the mulch to cover the additional time spent climbing the hills and remember every wheelbarrow applied is slowing your crew down due to the fatigue factor - thats a just a fact of the service.

As far as your clean-up price $25/man hr is not bad. However if you think that it will take you 8/hrs to complete, then I would plan on adding 50% time factor to that to cover anything that may arise. So for this I would have proposed at least 12 man hrs or $600.

I hope thisnhelps you to see where I was coming from. Also dont forget that if we dont use that time, then we can adjust the billing accordingly, but that you cxant charge more unless the have an open check with your name on it.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris