Help On Convincing The Parents!?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kennedy Landscaping, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, not sure if this is the right part of the site or not. But I have ran my 5x10 for about 2years now, it was great when I was doing 6 accounts, but I am now about 13 accounts and hoping to be at 20-25 by the end of this coming summer. My problem here is, obviously I am wanting and getting to the point where I will need a new trailer. I would like to upgrade to a 16ft Tandem axle, as I plan to get more heavily into the landscaping and other services as well. I pay for everything myself with the money I earn working. They keep telling me I am fine with my current trailer, which for now, I am doing somewhat ok, but the trailer gets packed all the time. Like I said I would purchase the trailer myself with my money, NOT THEIRS. My ideal setup would be the 36", 21", and handhelds with room for a leaf box on the front in the fall. And when necessary the Gravely, 21", and the Husqvarna. There are so many advantages for my company to have a bigger trailer. My neighbor even has a 16ft tandem he said he would sell me. Its a PJ, just needs new paint which I could do myself, and needs sides, which I could also do. It is in good shape. But my question here is how do I convince them that it would be a good purchase. I am determined to get it but it juut doesn't feel like the want my business to succeed. It feels like if I push one way they push back twice as hard. PLEASE HELP, anything is appreciated except bashing:waving:

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I moved up from a single to tandem axle a year ago. I kinda wish I hadn't. More problems with brakes, tires, etc. I think you should be fine with the 10' for a while, and if you do get a bigger one, keep that one also. That way when you don't NEED the big trailer, you don't have to use it.

I have found it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, just go buy it, don't even tell them. That's the cool thing about having my shop at a storage place, I can get a whole bunch of new ****, and they don't ever know.

At least your truck is big enough to pull the tandem axle, so that won't be a problem, too.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Its YOUR business isnt it? There ya go.

4. Kennedy Landscaping

Believe me I would love to just go buy it without their permission, but I just don't think that would work out too well. They would be the people to make me take it back:cry:

5. Kennedy Landscaping

Yeah but I'm in their house as I am only 15, 16 in July:laugh:

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh but if its your money then o well. Try out your sales skills for next years landscapes.

7. Kennedy Landscaping

Not sure I'm pickin up what you're putin down there?

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

If you can "sell" your parents on letting you get a trailer, it will be a reflection of your sales skills in general.

9. Kennedy Landscaping

Haha how do you suggest I sell them on the idea? They seem pretty set on being @$$holes about it

10. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, Stay with me on this one. Get some crack and sit at the kitchen table. When they come in and say " WTF?!?!", just tell them you had to spend your money on something:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now seriously, DONT DO DRUGS! I think you already figured that part out. But I would sit down with them. List the pros and cons of the bigger trailer. Have several price quotes to show them. Also explain that the bigger trailer is safer with a second axle and second set of tires. You should also explain that with a bigger trailer, you can carry more equipment and make less return trips to the shop. This will save you time and money, allowing you to make more $$$$ and get more lawns done. That is the name of the game. Just show them some posts on LS about trailers. Just leave my post out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best of luck. I know it is a PITA, but no one cares for you more than your parents. They want the best for you. It always good to include them in your plans. They have seen and done a lot more than you have yet. Life is the greatest teacher. Nobody better tell my mommy I said this, I would never live it down.