Help on County Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

We were just asked to put in a bid for a new industrial park complex. We would be responsible for mowing the entrance (about 1/2 acre), as well as mowing all of the right of ways (about 3.5 MILES). We would also be rsponsible for picking up all trash and debri and hauling away. We would mow from the road to the middle of the ditch (about 4 passes per side). There is quite a bit of trimming to do around water meters, man holes, railgards. I'm thinking all together about 13-15 hours Total. The only reason why I believe it will take me this long is b/c the park is new and the grounds are not perfectly smooth so I have to go a little slower. Its to be mowed every other week, but I'm thinking about telling them I'll do the main entrance (right on the highway and has a very nice flower bed with the park sign) weekly to help my bid stand out from the rest (I believe the entrance could be done in about an hour even with haveing to pick up all the trash).

What would you guys bid on this? I was thinking $1,500 per month:confused:
    We also will more than likely be bushhoging most of there lots 3-4 times per year which will be about $1,500 then as well.
  2. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

not to be a smart ass but could you add any more info? 3.5 miles times 4 passes on what? 36 WB, 52,60,72 Z , 18 ft reel mower ? You should figure out the number of passes plus a little overlap, devided by average speed including around obstacles and for weedwacking you would just have to try to count the obstacles and figure out walking speed devided by distance plus each obstacle say pole = 5 seconds ... $ 1500 might be a good price but I can't really tell only you will know what puts money in the bank ! Good Luck and have a great season !

3. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

$1200 to $1350 - Good luck and go mow some grass.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I don't see what the mower matters but I'll either use the Gravely 260Z or the Tank M60. Have you ever mowed a newly sodded yard? Thats what the grounds are like, very bumpy and you have to go slow so you dont beat your equipment all to hell. I counted everything thats how I came up with the estimated hours of 13-15, I was just wondering what other might charge.
  5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

bump.....any more opinions? The bids do in two days.
  6. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a bid for a government job, (county). Lowest bid will win it. Figure out a way to do it cheap. Cut corners anywhere you can. All they care about is price..(In my experience, any dealings with government jobs, the above applies...):rolleyes:
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

bump.....any more opinions? The bids do in two days.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if it's a typical annual contract with 12 monthly payments, then yes, that sounds about right based on your hour estimates.
  9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

The contract is from April 1st thru October 31st (7 months.) If it wasn't for the trash that will be there it could be done in less time but I know there is gonna be trash so I want to plan ahead. There will more than likely be 2 of us 1 mowing and doing trash and the other trimming and with two I might can do it in 6-7 hours but I can't guarantee I'll always have help.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well then of course... you sound real low to me...

If that is the case you will do it all 15 times and the entrance 30 times.

Just the 15 times alone (x) 15 hours = 225 contract hours.

but my guess is that if you do it alone, that's 2 days, or a day and a half, and two trips there shot in the wind.

With a helper... a days work for the whole thing.
    Then the time to drive out and another trip the next week do the entry.

This and many other reasons is why I quote on volume of work to be performed.
    NOT based on how many hours I GUESS it MIGHT take me.

If your time guestimate is on point, at best you will GROSS in the $40's.

Now if I may speak frankly with you as a fellow tarheel without offending you...

Look, I really like getting new work just as much as the next guy. But I have also been in the business long enough to say that "by your discription" I DO NOT LIKE THE SMELL OF THIS JOB... NOT AT THIS PRICE.

And I will give you reasons why that you can EVALUATE better than me.

1) You are either looking at walking 3.5 miles (or 7) picking up 2 weeks of trash.

2) You are looking at mowing 3.5 miles (or 7) 4 times (4 passes)

3) Considering #2 and the entry, that's 9 acres +/- (18 acres +/-) of turf

4) Then you are looking at walking 3.5 miles (or 7) of trimming.

In addition to this, we are talking 2 week's worth of trash to clean up, and two weeks worth of grass growth to cut and trim. It's bad enough as-is, but what if it's a rainy season? What if it rains on the cutting day the week you are supposed to do it?...

This goes without saying that most of it is along roadway. If you do it on week days, you have traffic to be concerned with... and you won't want to discharge towards the road at any time because...

1) Traffic

2) You'll have to blow all that (which also reminds me of the question of curbing and curb edging?)

So you'll of course want to start by throwing away from the road towards the ditch. Most machines throw clippings 2-3 passes over. So the second pass will also need to be thrown in the same direction... and on that pass you'll be running through clippings of the first pass and cutting two week's growth all that distance. And you may possibly need to throw a third pass towards the ditch too.... and the forth pass you'll be forced to turn around and discharge towards the road, cutting through 3 passes of clippings and another swath.

So it would be hard on a weekly basis, much less every two weeks.

It's going to be a dang mess... and a job neither party is going to be happy with.

In my opinion, these are your no-win jobs. Not unless you are getting PAID a lot and you are CLEARING a lot... and they don't care how it looks so long as you knock it down a couple times a month.

Really, the most efficent way to do such a job is to be set up to bag it weekly directly into "pull-out" liners you can pull out, tie and drop on the fly... the do a pickup drive through to get the bags and dispose of them in an on-site bin.... or a dump-from seat bagger with an OK place to dump out of site every so far along the way.

Either that, or you need a golf cart, utility or stander mower with a trash bin to do the pickup... then a mower set up with a fully baffled mulch kit to mulch it all on a weekly basis.

I need to add some work this year, but I wouldn't even be interested in bidding on something like this that they likely want done cheap and presentable on a bi-weekly schedule. No thanks.