Help on Exmark WB - sump seal..........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott Campbell, May 7, 2001.

1. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Haven't been on in awhile, and there are a heck of alot of new people on here that I have never had the pleasure of speaking with yet. To all of you welcome to LS.

My question is on my FC420V hydro WB. Last week I noticed a nice gusher coming out of the side of the block. Nothing like looking down on a customer's drive and seeing a puddle of oil under your machine. I bought this unit used, it is two years old.

I took it by a local dealer to let him have a look. He confirmed that it was the sump gasket/seal. He is like most of us, booked pretty solid. It will be 7 to 10 days before I will see it back. On top of that is the pretty healthy labor bill for the mechanics. He said it isn't too difficult, just mainly time consuming. (up to 5 plus hrs to complete.) At $50 an hour, I didn't feel like leaving it with them for monetary, as well as, time reasons.

The seal will be here tomorrow. I have the unit up and the four engine bolts underneath loosened and the pulley bolt out. What is the easiest way, if any, to work the main pulley's off of the drive shaft under the motor. I have soaked it with penetrating oil the best I can, and will try working it off tomorrow. Looking for any tips.

If anyone has tinkered with this, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

2. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Before you go through all the trouble are you positive of the location of the leak. It is EXTREMELY common on the 420v for the o-rings to blow out between the block and the oil filter mount. It is also very easy and inexpensive to repair. If I were you I would clean the engine very well, refill the oil start it and check this area. The diagnosis may have been in error if the engine wasn't very clean and you couldn't see exactly where the oil was coming from.

3. Scott Campbell

Nathan, the oil was definitely coming from the opposite side from the oil filter. I usually keep the machines as clean as I can, especially after I saw the oil perking on the job. I brought it home, checked my oil level, wiped it down real good and watched to see where the leak was coming from.

As you stand at the controls on the back, it is coming from the right side where the two block halves come together, just behind the oil fill tube.

Plain as day I'm afraid.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As long as they put anti-seaze on the crank when they installed the pulleys they should come right off with a few taps from a hammer. Yes, it is difficult to get the hammer in there and it is difficult to get any kind of a swing on the hammer but it doesn't take much to get the pulleys moving. If you can't get it this way you will have to pull the axle and use a wheel puller. This is one area that Exmark could follow Gravelys lead in. Gravely has a hole big enough to remove the engine from the mower <i>with</i> the pulleys attached.

5. Scott Campbell

Thanks for the replies Richard & Nathan.

Richard knowing my luck there probably isn't any anti-seize on the crank. But, I will find that out today. I was going to use my LFH or my BFH. I just wanted to throw out a line to make sure I was thinking correctly. Was thinking about the gear puller too but like I said, not sure. I Didn't want to rip up something in my tear apart process.